Need help to remove Smart meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyT50

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just moved into a new house and found that there are smart meters installed. Please don't tell me it's my fault for not checking before buying, I know only too well, but it's something I just never thought about, I just can't believe the previous owners were so stupid as to have them installed.

I asked the energy supplier to remove them but am having no joy. I need to know how do I get them to remove these meters and install analogue ones? failing that, I need advice on how to do it myself?.

I'm so angry right now I feel like taking a sledge hammer to the things, if I don't get it sorted asap that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Erm, OK...
Let's start with: Why are they a problem?

And secondly, I’m nearly sure they belong to the utility provider so don’t hit them with a lump hammer

I'm so angry right now I feel like taking a sledge hammer to the things, if I don't get it sorted asap that's exactly what I'll be doing.

I can't see that ending well - but can I watch? :D

popcorn.gif

A sledge hammer and mains electricity allways go well together, please film the deed if you intend to use this tool to remove these offensive meters.

What difference does the type of meter fitted make? I had a smart meter with British Gas they were crap as a provider I changed as soon as possible and unplugged the info hub in the house the meter hasn’t changed it still counts the units?

A sledge hammer and mains electricity allways go well together, please film the deed if you intend to use this tool to remove these offensive meters.
I know there's a risk, that's the only thing stopping me so far, that's why I'm looking for advice first.

What difference does the type of meter fitted make? I had a smart meter with British Gas they were crap as a provider I changed as soon as possible and unplugged the info hub in the house the meter hasn’t changed it still counts the units?
You're obviously not aware but a smart meter is one that they have constant data from, so they know when you're home and when you're out, when you go on holiday etc by knowing when you use electric/gas, that is a burglars dream. There is also the health risk from the device.

You're obviously not aware but a smart meter is one that they have constant data from, so they know when you're home and when you're out, when you go on holiday etc by knowing when you use electric/gas, that is a burglars dream. There is also the health risk from the device.

Thanks I’ll be back in a week just off to find that sledgehammer:)

Do you own a mobile phone or have wifi?

ou're obviously not aware but a smart meter is one that they have constant data from, so they know when you're home and when you're out, when you go on holiday etc by knowing when you use electric/gas, that is a burglars dream.
Just get a timer/valve to randomly turn on an arc welder and vent the gas supply, the burglars will never know you aren't there.
Top Tip, don't have that happen at the same time. Unless...

And secondly, I’m nearly sure they belong to the utility provider so don’t hit them with a lump hammer

Or do lose electricity, blow himself up and if he survives get prosecuted.

Or more importantly the anti tamper parts will inform the supplier

• You can tell us how often you’d prefer us to collect your meter readings (half-hourly, daily or monthly) through My Account, here, or by calling 01926 320 700.
  • You can tell us how often you’d like us to collect your readings at the time of installation or after. If you don’t tell us within seven days, we’ll continue to collect your readings on a daily basis.
You can find more information about your rights in our privacy policy.

From which

Can I decide what data is shared?
Your energy company, and the energy networks, can access appropriate data remotely to enable them to send you accurate bills and carry out other essential tasks.

It is up to you to decide how much data your energy supplier collects from your smart meter, eg monthly, daily or half-hourly. If you do not inform your supplier of your preferences, they can collect a daily meter read.

You can also decide whether your supplier can use your meter reads for sales and marketing purposes.

You will also be able to share data with third parties (such as switching sites) if you want them to give you advice on the best tariff for you.

You are allowed to change your mind about any of your choices at any time.

If you are worried about the data your smart meter collects, read our guide on what data your smart meter is allowed to collect about you.

For more information on making any of the choices above or any other questions about your data, contact your energy supplier.

You will have numerous devices on, holiday or not. The fridge and freezer thermostats will be randomly switching on and off.

And has there ever been a case of energy company employees tipping off burglars?

Tin foil hat anyone?

I'd ask you to send me one but I'm sure my postie works for a super-secret government surveillance unit that's observing my transmissions to the home planet.*

* I always send my transmissions to ZargBlatt 7 via RM tracked 48 service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom