Need help to get a HTPC

TheDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone advise on where I could get a ready-made simple HTPC (well sort of.....). I will only be using it to play HD content on my Pioneer 505XDE (has VGA and HDMI inputs). So as long as it can do this I will be happy. I don't need it for recording or watching tv.

I am looking for something small to keep in my living room. Otherwise what components, and specs should I be looking for in order to build it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Hello All

I now have a PC on it's way to me. It has a dual Athlon 64 processor (4200+) and an Nvidia 7800 GT graphics card.

Before I buy a cable I would appreciate some advice, especially from Pioneer XDE owners:

Should I use a DVI - HDMI cable or DVI - VGA cable?

Thanks in advance.

Doc

dvi to hdmi, available from ebay at around 15 quid, just make sure its the dvi-d digital cable, not the anaologue ones. pictures crackin mate, im typing 8ft away from my pd7200. :D

Hope you stocked on hard drives, I've been struggling with 500GB despite deleting most stuff after watching it.

It will be stocked with 1000GB. So realistically, I could buy a DVI-D to DVI-D cable and try connecting using a HDMI and VGA adaptor at the plasma end and see what gives the best results.

Thanks

Doc

AFAIK, DVI-D is pure digital and not compatible with VGA. You need DVI-I output of your graphic card (with 4 extra RGB connections) and DVI-I cable1, then a DVI-I to HDMI converter and DVI-I to VGA. IMHO.

Thanks for that Snap. I think I will go for the VGA option as it will only be an occasional connection.

I did a VGA test run with another PC and was very impressed with the picture quality on the 505XDE (and it wasn't even HD content).

I am currently using the HDMI connection for my dvd player and I also have to think about SKY HD!!!!!!

All the best

Doc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom