Need help to find a movie

Alberta27

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been trying to find this movie for a long time and I just wanted to try one more go on a forum before giving up on it.

Okay, so the movie stars a woman and teen girl (I presume it's her daughter, not sure if they were related). The young girl comes into the bar where the woman works and talks about how things are miserable and they were chatting away. Later that evening on a bench outside the bar I think the girl was saying she had nowhere else to go and she was in trouble of some kind and the lady helps her.

They end up going for a road trip to get away and end up finding a space in the middle of nowhere that either had a run-down cabin or they decided to build (it isn't A Home of Our Own).

They made friends with a couple of truck drivers. The mother got to know one and the younger girl, who often read alone in their car, formed a friendship with the other driver, who didn't know how to read. She helps to teach him to read and soon they end up sending letters about books they are reading.

In the meantime, the older woman is getting the place fixed up and she has arguments with two native American Indian boys from a reservation but it turns out they are homeless. At first, they debate about the land and how they shouldn't be on it, but after they begin to understand one another they form a friendship and become a family.

In the last scene, it fades out and they are eating around the table and the mother says 'God bless this food, this house, this family.

I honestly thought it starred Christina Ricci (as the younger girl). It was a movie between the 1980s-2000s.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but have not been able to find it.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been trying to find this movie for a long time and I just wanted to try one more go on a forum before giving up on it.

Okay, so the movie stars a woman and teen girl (I presume it's her daughter, not sure if they were related). The young girl comes into the bar where the woman works and talks about how things are miserable and they were chatting away. Later that evening on a bench outside the bar I think the girl was saying she had nowhere else to go and she was in trouble of some kind and the lady helps her.

They end up going for a road trip to get away and end up finding a space in the middle of nowhere that either had a run-down cabin or they decided to build (it isn't A Home of Our Own).

They made friends with a couple of truck drivers. The mother got to know one and the younger girl, who often read alone in their car, formed a friendship with the other driver, who didn't know how to read. She helps to teach him to read and soon they end up sending letters about books they are reading.

In the meantime, the older woman is getting the place fixed up and she has arguments with two native American Indian boys from a reservation but it turns out they are homeless. At first, they debate about the land and how they shouldn't be on it, but after they begin to understand one another they form a friendship and become a family.

In the last scene, it fades out and they are eating around the table and the mother says 'God bless this food, this house, this family.

I honestly thought it starred Christina Ricci (as the younger girl). It was a movie between the 1980s-2000s.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but have not been able to find it.
I think this might be called Leaving Normal

Thank you so much! I just watched it and you’re spot on. Nice one, considering I got a few details mixed up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom