Need help to configure rf 2 output with windows media centre on pc

phmccu

Standard Member
I have just had a new pc delivered with a tv card. The op system is Vista which uses windows media centre. I want to scan for the signal that I should be receiving via the coax lead. The media centre offers options to scan for connections by cable antenna or satellite. The satellite option offers a channel number and I presume this is what I would use. I have entered the number I've found for rf outputs via services on the sky plus box but no joy.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You need to search channels using the "antenna" analogue option.

phmccu

Standard Member
Yes that's right. The card I have fitted is a an integrated hybrid (analogue/digital) tv tuner. Would there perhaps be any settings I would need to alter with the card?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
When you scan do you pick up regular TV?
What RF channel is your Sky Box set to?

phmccu

Standard Member
The RF channel is set to 50. I'm not able to access any channels at all which is making me wonder if there is an issue with the tuner. My setup has the analogue aerial in, RF1 connected to a dvd recorder/player with RF2 having the cable which runs to the computer in another room. I used this setup succesfully with another computer which went defuct a year or so ago so in theory this should have worked ok.Just waiting for someone to drop off a portable to test whether I can receive with that.

phmccu

Standard Member
I've now tried to tune this in on a portable tv which identifies the picture on channel 50 which is what my rf output is. The picture and sound is distorted which I guess suggests the problem may be with the cabling/connectors? The fact that it is so poor may confirm why the scan via the media centre isn't picking anything up.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
How are the regular TV channels on the portable,using the same co-ax cable?

phmccu

Standard Member
Just before I gave up and started stripping cable I thought I'd try the RF2 outlet and hey presto there was the picture.

The puzzle is this raises another issue.

I was using RF 2 for a DVD recorder. What do I do now?

Hey ho - another hour another puzzle.

blacklion1725

Can't you use Scart or composite or s-video for the DVD recorder (would/should be an improvement in the recordings as well) that would leave free the RF2.

If you HAVE to use RF2 for both a compatible splitter is another option (make sure you buy one capable of passing the sky magic eye signal). A passive splitter should suffice for a 2-way split or a powered on for more. A good place to start is satcure.co.uk.

phmccu

Standard Member
I do actually have a scart connection to the DVD. I'd been fiddling so much that I'd switched the channel and had no picture. Doh! My setup is complicated by the fact that I have a plasma screen that has a box of it's own and I've now got to figure out is what's going where. In the meantime I've lost the terrestrial channels on my main tv not that it's so much of a problem since reception in this area is very poor.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom