NEED HELP! The audio glitch that won't DIE!

Pharmarep

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an audio "glitch" where the sound stops for about 1/2 second periodically while watch Netflix streaming movies, 4K, Bluray, or 3D blu-ray movies. I've replaced my 4K cable even with an 8K HDMI cable (backwards capable) (my Denon can support 8K HDMI), and also the optical cable. I also called Denon today and they stated that, "The audio either works or doesn't;t, and since you can hear the audio, then the only thing that's left is a factory reset." We did that and it still didn't solve the audio glitch.

How can I stop this glitch? NOTE: You have to reply in very basic terms with step by step instructions. I'm very new to audio issues. :)

I own a Denon year 2021 AVR-X6700H receiver. I have a 2016 LG OLED TV with eARC capability.

Very strange question, sorry, are you using the power cable that came with the AVR?

How is the Netflix streamer and the BR player connected? To the TV using e-ARC or ARC to AVR or are they plugged into the AVR directly?

You have not said where the various inputs are connected only that you have changed the the HDMI cable used for ARC. If you are using the TV as the HDMI hub and there are no inputs at all on the Denon then I would say your problem is with the TV.

If the problem is persistent when using the individual HDMI inputs on the Denon then I would say that is indeed a problem with the Denon which needs addressing under your warranty.

At the moment I'm left scrabbling around in the dark as you not furnished enough information.

I'm sorry I wasn't informative enough, but will always reply within a few hours.

Yes, using the same power cable that came with all equipment.

Yes, I do believe I'm going from the TV Arc to the Denon Arc. The Denon has 8 HDMI ports.

The Netflix is a FireStick powered by a USB port in the TV. All other HDMI cables are directly connected to the TV and then to the device.

There is only 1 HDMI port being used on the Denon and I believe it is the eArc (newer version of Arc than what my TV has).

There is only 1 HDMI port being used on the Denon and I believe it is the eArc (newer version of Arc than what my TV has).
Therein lies your problem. Because the TV is basic ARC and the X6700 eARC then it's only that basic ARC that works. This needs CEC to be used. ARC and CEC are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot (or coffee pot in your case).

Unless you want Atmos from those connections using USB for which you will need Dolby DIgital Plus which is only conveyed by HDMI, then I would revert to optical and turn off CEC in the TV.

I went in to watch a movie right after this post, and now the audio stopping has gotten so bad, that a 3D movie or a Amazon Fire Stick Prime movie, is unwatchable due to the audio now skipping for several seconds, and then coming on for a second, and then skipping again for several seconds, and so on. The audio "glitch/skipping" has never even been remotely close to this bad over the past 6 months. The audio would usually only stop 3-4 times per movie for a 1/2 second each time, like last night when watching Top Gun 3D bluray.

I have already called Denon yesterday and they advised a factory reset, which we did.

I forgot to mention that I'm using an optical cable run directly to the AVR and again the HDMI cable to the AVR. It seems I don't know how or can't not use the optical cable for sound. The sound is amazing 5.1.4 sound, except for the glitches.

Have you checked your internet/network connections? Poor bandwidth will cripple audio streams. I've had to replace several of my CAT cables between various devices due to this issue. Some of the cables seem to have deteriorated over time for some reason.

Agree @John7 worth checking. I had the cable from the BB router to our WIFI mesh main unit fail, took me ages to diagnose... it didn't actually stop working, it just went to about 3 meg a second; which kind of hindered the whole household!

To check the operation of the Denon AVR, you need to connect an HDMI source directly to it to rule out other possibilities

I forgot to mention that I'm using an optical cable run directly to the AVR and again the HDMI cable to the AVR. It seems I don't know how or can't not use the optical cable for sound. The sound is amazing 5.1.4 sound, except for the glitches.
To use Optical, you need to assign the optical input to the HDMI port. As gibsy pointed out, you will lose the ability to get HD audio (optical does not have sufficient bandwidth to convey it) so you will probably wan to stick with HDMI audio

Had the same issue (Denon 4700H & a Sony A80J) and replaced my main HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver with this Kenable one. A week has gone by and so far so good. I've ordered another 3 of the same cable to replace my others as they are such good quality for the price.

Have you checked your internet/network connections? Poor bandwidth will cripple audio streams. I've had to replace several of my CAT cables between various devices due to this issue. Some of the cables seem to have deteriorated over time for some reason.
This is a great suggestion, but I have a direct ethernet connect running 1000 Mbs.

To check the operation of the Denon AVR, you need to connect an HDMI source directly to it to rule out other possibilities
I don't understand your comment. I mentioned I already have an HDMI directly connected from TV to Denon; from eArc to eArc. Is your comment something different?

I don't understand your comment. I mentioned I already have an HDMI directly connected from TV to Denon; from eArc to eArc. Is your comment something different?

He means that the conventional way of using the AVR is to use it as a switch. All of your sources, e.g. bluray player, Firestick etc plug in to the HDMI inputs and the AVR processes etc and outputs to the monitor HDMI.

ARC and eARC take the signal "in reverse" from the TV.

A large portion of AVF content is about people having problems with ARC, eARC and HDMI-CEC. If you try wiring it conventionally like @John7 says by plugging one source into the HDMI inputs on the AVR, and it works fine then you've diagnosed it is an ARC or eARC issue.

I go with "old school". Sources plugged into AVR, decent HDMI to TV, optical back from TV (but that's only used for broadcast TV during the day, don't use any of the TV smart features as I have "proper devices" for that).

You have both optical and eArc connected and I suspect that this is confusing the heck out of the AVR.

As a first attempt, completely disconnect the optical cable and hide it under the bed. Then make just eARC work by enabling it (and CEC) in both the TV and the AVR, Although CEC has a bad reputation, this is mostly noise from a small number of vociferous people who encounter problems; for the vast majority CEC works just fine.

If you can't get eARC to work, you'll need to take the other approach. Totally disable eARC and CEC everywhere, reconnect the optical cable, configure the AVR to use the optical channel. This is a last resort approach, it has multiple disadvantages and annoyances.

Had the same issue (Denon 4700H & a Sony A80J) and replaced my main HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver with this Kenable one. A week has gone by and so far so good. I've ordered another 3 of the same cable to replace my others as they are such good quality for the price. Would these work in America?
To use Optical, you need to assign the optical input to the HDMI port. As gibsy pointed out, you will lose the ability to get HD audio (optical does not have sufficient bandwidth to convey it) so you will probably wan to stick with HDMI audio
I have tried to assign my Denon year 2021 AVR-X6700H receiver to use only HDMI input before but it doesn't seem to want to only recognize it. I wish i knew someone who could walk me through the steps, because I've purchased two different HDMIn)latest tech cables) cables attempting to do this.

I'll look at the user manual for you.
In the meantime, do you have an HD source (e.g BR player) that you can plug directly into one of the AVR INPUTS? If so, and you can play that source with no glitches, it proves that the AVR is OK and you problem lies elsewhere.

IMHO, you do not want to be using Optical for any sources that have HD audio if you value sound qaulity and multi-channel audio. Optical is very limited.

I have finally figured out how disconnect the optical and to only have the HDMI plugging into the Denon. The audio glitch remains.

Are you all trying to tell me now that the next step is to have the 4K player only connect the HDMI to the AVR? In other words, to not have the 4K player connect directly to the TV.

I have finally figured out how disconnect the optical and to only have the HDMI plugging into the Denon. The audio glitch remains.

Are you all trying to tell me now that the next step is to have the 4K player only connect the HDMI to the AVR? In other words, to not have the 4K player connect directly to the TV.
Yes. The player needs to be connected directly to the AVR (via single HDMI for audio/video) to test if the AVR is causing the audio dropouts.

Last edited:
I have it connected directly to the AVR and so far so good, however I need to watch some more movies, and the Fire Stick to be sure. The audio glitches comes and goes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom