1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help! TH37PW7B or 37PF9946

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ashmanash, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ashmanash

ashmanash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a dilema that is driving me completely potty! I just can't seem choose between TH37PW7B and 37PF9946. I have even gone as far as hovering over the 'confirm order' button on each models and at the last minute changing my mind again.

My needs are simple. I want to be able to connect a PC, games consoles and watch TV on my screen. My budget just can't stretch over the £1400 mark. Even then I'm looking at a buy now pay later deal :thumbsdow

I need help :lease:

Here's my thinking. The panny is such a great screen and for £1198.86 (empiredirect) it's within my price range. However, the Philips at £1299.88 (also empiredirect) will mean I won't have to purchase any boards or speakers (can use PC speakers anyway). The Philips doesn't have component but does have 2 RGB scarts. The panny comes with a single scart board and I can purchase component board at a later date. See what I mean? For an extra £100 the Philips is ready to go straight from the box but the panny looks nicer and I can customise it to my needs! :suicide:

Ok guys. I going to leave this up to you. :D
    Which should I go for?​

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips has two SCARTS, but only one is RGB: if you need more, its £50 for a quality scart switcher.

The Panasonic can be had for £1000, and the Philips for £1100. This saving may make your decision easier (getting the extras for the Panny maybe).

Just factor in speakers for the space/look of the Panasonic - I'm not sure PC speakers are gonna be good enough...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for PC use i think the panny would be ideal, see posts by lisag who has a 37" panny and is using for Media PC etc

4. EL DOONUS

EL DOONUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the philips and it's good for movies but poor for sports.Have contacted Philips and after dodging the issue 2 or 3 times they have admitted that blurring and colour banding affect this (and all according to them)all LCD and Plasma screens under certain picture conditions.It does look great on the wall when it's switched off though!! :eek:

5. ashmanash

ashmanash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the PW7 now. At least it's not 50/50 anymore.

6. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen these 2 in action? Your eyes may make the decision for you :)

7. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I got the PW7 37" and it is fab. Its the dogs in terms of PQ and at a real bargain price now. You wont be disappointed. btw I'm watching Arsenal v Sheff Utd now and the picture is perfect if footie is your thing.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    An astonishing quote from a manufacturer. I rest my case against Philips, I would not be sorry if they never mada another plasma. It's true in their case, blurring and colour banding are normal.

9. ashmanash

ashmanash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also watching the Arsenal v Sheff Utd now but on a Relisys RTL1720 :rolleyes: and the picture is pretty damn awful. oh I really can't wait to get 37"

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    been quite a long time since they made a plasma!!! now just rebadge some others........with quirky bits of technology that does not do very much useful....

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    True enough, but you know what I mean.

12. ashmanash

ashmanash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify something. I believe the PW7 has 2 free terminal slots with PC VGA input already built in. Just wondering as if I'm going to fit the scart board will I also need a separate PC input board, which would then leave no free slots for a component board. Any info would be great on this coz this could be the deciding factor.

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to stick up for the Philips. I watched Match of the Day on the Panasonic Viera 42", and the repeat on the Philips 42PF9946 - pretty much identical on both, and the Philips gets slightly better on other material. Nothing like living with the actual sets to compare.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You won't need a separate PC input, the one they come with is fine. You will have 2 free slots and a PC connection.

15. ashmanash

ashmanash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG! I have just had another look on empire-direct website and (very bizarrely) it looks like they have raised the prices, overnight!! Not sure if they have done this for all the LCD/Plasma screens but the panny is now £1,234.78!! And the Philips is now £1,338.89!! What is going on? I'm not going to buy mine from empire anymore!

Can anyone recommend anywhere else? That also do a 'buy now pay 2006', don't have the money now but will have later on in the year ;-)

I'll check out av-sales also.

16. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Richers advertising in the Guardian today - Panny TH37PW7B, Uk stock, full UK Panny back-up, £999.95 brand new - if only I had a grand!

17. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am I right in saying that Richers can't/won't/don't sell the connection boards and stands though?

18. PADME02

PADME02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,I bought my TH37PW7B from Richers for £999.95 on Sunday,had to ring around a bit,don't think they have that much stock,got mine from Bristol.It comes bare bones with no boards.I bought a JS box for £120,a scart board for £65 from AV forums classifieds(thanks Panosg)and a bracket for £80.00 off Ebay.Very impressed,think I've got a very respectable entry level plasma?I was set to buy a Tiny,thank god I discovered this forum and didn't!

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    They have very limited and expensive choice....Scart boards possibly component if you are lucky........Stand choice will eb limited as will brackets etc.