NEED HELP ! - Sony HC44e or Panny GS180 ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by low-def., Aug 28, 2006.

1. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I'm totally new to camcorders. I want to get one to catch my baby daughter as she grows up.

I have £300 to spend and these are the two models i have on various websites that look nice.

Any pros and cons with either ?

I've never had panasonic kit before, i've had sony cameras in the past and they have always been good.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The GS180, with it’s 3 CCDs, will give generally better pictures with more accurate colour. But it is more limited in it’s support of Widescreen. Quoting camcorderinfo.com: “The camcorder does not support true 16:9, but anamorphically squeezes a 16:9 aspect ratio image onto the 4:3 native chip. This results in a significant drop in video sharpness in 16:9 mode.”It also doesn’t have a widescreen LCD, and the image stabilization doesn’t work in Widescreen mode.

The HC44 is closer to “true widescreen”, so doesn’t lose so much quality in widescreen mode. It has a widescreen LCD, and you can use the image stabilization in widescreen mode.