Need help - Sony colors appear way oversaturated (Sony x800h)

Benjaminjesse

Novice Member
Hey everyone,

So recently we bought a brand new Sony x800h, and I was really excited about it (at first). We replaced an 11-year old Philips television, and I'm ready to make the jump to 4k and HDR. So after it arrived I've been working on the settings, trying to calibrate the tv to give a good natural image representation. The problem I keep running into is that the colors are very oversaturated. Reds are very intense or bright reds, greens are very bright greens. I was watching the new spiderman movie today, and Peter Parker's lips were so red it actually looked like he was wearing lipstick. Now, whatever I do or change in the menus: I can't seem to be able to change the oversaturation of the colors. I've used the settings from rtings.com for the most true visual color representation, but no luck. Disabled all those auto-enhancement features too (like auto-contrast or auto-color enhancement), but no luck either. The colors look unnatural, no matter what I try. I'm actually almost wanting to go back to my old Philips television, since it had great natural colors and good contrast (even for an IPS).

Is this just how sony triluminos displays are? I'm thinking if I wouldn't be better off in buying a Samsung q60r, or maybe the Philips PUS8505.

Can you guys give me some advice on this?

Greetings,
Benjamin

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hey everyone,

So recently we bought a brand new Sony x800h, and I was really excited about it (at first). We replaced an 11-year old Philips television, and I'm ready to make the jump to 4k and HDR. So after it arrived I've been working on the settings, trying to calibrate the tv to give a good natural image representation. The problem I keep running into is that the colors are very oversaturated. Reds are very intense or bright reds, greens are very bright greens. I was watching the new spiderman movie today, and Peter Parker's lips were so red it actually looked like he was wearing lipstick. Now, whatever I do or change in the menus: I can't seem to be able to change the oversaturation of the colors. I've used the settings from rtings.com for the most true visual color representation, but no luck. Disabled all those auto-enhancement features too (like auto-contrast or auto-color enhancement), but no luck either. The colors look unnatural, no matter what I try. I'm actually almost wanting to go back to my old Philips television, since it had great natural colors and good contrast (even for an IPS).

Is this just how sony triluminos displays are? I'm thinking if I wouldn't be better off in buying a Samsung q60r, or maybe the Philips PUS8505.

Greetings,
Benjamin

It doesn't sound right to me. What sources are you using for your viewing? What settings are you using? Do you see this issue on everything?

Morden

Distinguished Member
Hey everyone,

Greetings,
Benjamin

Did you change any of the colour settings in advanced colour or per colour settings?

And what picture mode are you using?

Benjaminjesse

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies!

My settings are:

Picture mode: custom
Auto picture mode: off
Light sensor: off
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: low
Adv. contrast enhancer: low
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color temperature: neutral
Live color: off
Sharpness: 70
Reality creation: on
Random noise reduction: off
Digital noise reduction: off
Motionflow: custom, set at 1
Cinemotion: auto
HDR mode: atuo
HDMI video range: auto
Color space: auto

I use a regular cable source, but the issue is for the entire tv. Youtube HDR 4k videos look really really good though, no issues there. I didn't change any settings in advanced colour or per colour, I wouldn't dare to mess with those all by myself. :)

This week I went to two different stores to compare with other tvs and ask for advice. What they basically said is that blown out colours are the regular for most brands now. The store owner said Samsung is even worse, and that the only way to fix it is to have your tv calibrated by a professional. Basically they told me I have to get used to it, and maybe that's just the case here. I find it difficult though because it just looks unnatural to me. What are your thoughts on this?

Morden

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies!

My settings are:

Picture mode: custom
Auto picture mode: off
Light sensor: off
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: low
Adv. contrast enhancer: low
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color temperature: neutral
Live color: off
Sharpness: 70
Reality creation: on
Random noise reduction: off
Digital noise reduction: off
Motionflow: custom, set at 1
Cinemotion: auto
HDR mode: atuo
HDMI video range: auto
Color space: auto

I use a regular cable source, but the issue is for the entire tv. Youtube HDR 4k videos look really really good though, no issues there. I didn't change any settings in advanced colour or per colour, I wouldn't dare to mess with those all by myself. :)

This week I went to two different stores to compare with other tvs and ask for advice. What they basically said is that blown out colours are the regular for most brands now. The store owner said Samsung is even worse, and that the only way to fix it is to have your tv calibrated by a professional. Basically they told me I have to get used to it, and maybe that's just the case here. I find it difficult though because it just looks unnatural to me. What are your thoughts on this?
I think the shop assistant is talking rubbish

I would say colour at 60 may be a bit high.

Whilst I have a different model in the xg9505, I have

Colour temp set at expert one
colour at 50
Live colour on high
Reality creation off for 4k sources on for non 4k
Black adjust high
Sharpness 50

Try reseting your settings and start from scratch again if it still looks bad after dialing the colour down.

Most settings are down to personal preference with what you are happy with. But I would try and lower the colour.

And try a factory reset if it still looks bad.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Agree with the above. I don't go above 57 on the colour on my sets but it's personal preference. Nothing jumps out with your settings to me and the fact you have live colour off should reduce over saturation of colours. See if a factory reset helps and start again.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom