Need Help: Snazio Tera NAS HD Hookup

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mr Merrick, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've had a Snazio Net Cinema HD (SZ1350) for quite a while now and have been pleased with the performance.

Until now, I've been streaming HDTV content directly from my PC to the SZ1350 using a Cross-Over cable which I made myself. (I don't intend on using a router or a wireless network)

I recently purchased the Tera NAS HD Pro and tried to hook it up to my PC today. I have installed (for now) 1x Western Digital 400GB/16MB Cache SATA hard drive. After checking all connections were correct I powered the unit on.

I used RAIDar and the Tera NAS was detected on IP Address: 192.168.168.168. When I clicked Setup I was told that the IP address of the client had to be on the same Subnet.
    I amended the TCP/IP properties to read; IP Address: 192.168.168.168, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0...I had no idea what to enter as the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses so I left them blank...

After confirming the settings, I pressed 'Rescan' on RAIDar and clicked 'Setup', now I get an error message saying "Windows cannot find 'https://192.168.168.168/admin/'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I searched a few forums and tried the IP address: 192.168.168.163 but I still get the same thing.

I've read through the Manual, but all of the settings seem to refer the the Frontview wizard and advanced settings. I can't even get to these as I can't even get past the setup.

The Tera NAS HD itself boots up. The blue status LED flases on and off very slowly, while the HDD LED's flash amber. The flashing alternates between all 4 leds displayed at once, to just the LED on the number 2 drive.

I even tried a 5 second reset and even a factory settings reset, but I still can't figure it out.

All I want is to transfer the files from my PC to the Tera NAS, and to hook the Tera NAS up to my SZ1350 in order to play them.

Please help me!! :lease:

I also have this thread in the PC forum, mods please delete as necessary...Thank you

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    your 3rd entry needs to change in your chosen ip address[192.168.1.xxx] to match the snazzio range, and last one needs to be unique to the tera Nas, something like 4 or 5

I'd guess

Agreed the 1350 is a great piece of kit, just need to get sound working on non 2 channel ondisc DRM discs [Tomb Raider 2] working here :(

3. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was told that if I switch DHCP to on, it should find all the settings for me? Is there anything on Windows XP Professional that allows me to do this?

4. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Windows XP would need a DHCP daemon/service that provides IP ranges to client requesting.

DO the following.

click start > run > type "cmd" > enter
    ipconfig /all

Look for your IP address of your machine. Make sure it's 192.168.168.? The first 3 x.x.x have to match between your PC and the NAS. If they don't change the Windows machines IP adress if it's easier. Say 192.168.168.10/255.255.255.0

Then if your NAS is configured as 192.168.168.168 go back to your command prompt (cmd) and type "ping 192.168.168.168" and you should get something like

Reply from 192.168.169.169: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255

Try telnet 192.168.168.168 if it has a telnet service you can check you another means that you can get to it by telnetting to it.

Also in explorer if you have a proxy configured tell it to bypass proxy for local address and then stick in your LAN IP range.

Hope it helps.

5. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You're a star! :thumbsup: Now I wanna go home and try this out, and it's really quiet here after the Saturday morning rush...If all goes to plan I'll send you some Chocolate Hob-Nobs :D

6. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm still trying...
    I've changed my TCP/IP settings to read

IP Address: 192.168.168.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

I have no idea what to put in for the Default Gateway, Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS Server...any ideas? :confused:

7. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    why are you inputting 168 in the 3rd field of the ip address ?

when I installed the net cinema server for snazio it selected the range 192.168.0.1 which is what I would expect for a default range

8. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did wonder about 192.168.168.x when most device come with your average 192.168.0, 192.168.1 or 192.168.2.

If you using a corssover cableyou don't have a gateway/swtich/router etc.. etc.. You could try stick itself as the default gateway. You don't need DNS settings as you not translating any www.website.com into a ip address.

As Radioactive_Man said why are you putting this in. Check the manual perhaps you have the wrong IP range.

DId you try pinging the IP address and did you get a response?