1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help setting up toshiba 36zp18q.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vipen, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i'm a bit new to digital sound set ups. just need a few tips.

1. had a pro logic system before with two large mission front speakers. can the toshiba not be set up so the tvs speakers act as centre?

2. which scarts are rgb?

3. why does the screen default to 4:3?

4. confused with the sound setups. i want to run my mission fronts with the system but the tv remote won't control the output ie. if i want to turn it down i have to use my amp as well. hmmm.

5. my ntl set top box runs extremely low sound compared to analogue signal. any ideas? can you get other ntl boxes or are they all standardised?

thanks very much for info. overall i am very happy with the set compared to some of the things that have been said.

2. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not going to be a lot of help here but wanted to tell you that I also bought the same TV last week and just write similar questions direct to Toshiba. I will post any answer I get from them.

As regards the 4:3 screen bit, that foxed me too but of course you can cycle through the screen modes simply enough with that specific button on the remote (I did not realize this straight away either).

Anyway, here's what I had written to Toshiba...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I just purchased a Toshiba 36ZP18Q widescreen TV (along with a Toshiba DVD and Toshiba VTR).

I am very pleased with the TV but I have a problem with configuration of the Dolby Digital speakers that you may be able to help me with.

There is a switch on the back of the TV that enables or disables the internal TV speakers. It seems that if the switch is set to "enable" the internal, then the two front external speakers do not make any sound at all (although the back speakers do). However, if the switch is set to "disable" the internal speakers, then no sound at all comes from the internal speakers and the front external effects speakers have to play both center and effects roles.

Firstly - Have I understood the configuration correctly?

Secondly - Is there a way to configure the sound so that the front external speakers produce only front effects sounds and the TV's internal speakers produce only center channel (dialog)sounds?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cheers!

Jules

3. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way...

The 36ZP18Q is reviewed by What Video/TV at the following URL and that review states that the TV speakers can be used as center speakers (although it does not say how)...

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html

A couple of questions:

1 .. One of the three SCARTs is RGB compatible. Is it the one that has no markings on it? (i.e. the other two say s-video).

2 .. There are also component video sockets on the TV. What is best, SCART RGB or Component Video (or are they the same).

3 .. It seems that the TV has a Dolby Digital (but no DTS) decoder on board. However, the DVD player (Toshiba SD-106EB) has both on board. How can I best leverage the decoders / amplifiers in the equipment?

Thanks!

Jules

4. ssharkey63

ssharkey63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Can't quote chapter and verse on this (would have to go home and recheck my set-up) - but your sound requirements are easy enough to meet.

You can have a full 5.1 set up (front dialogue via TV speakers, external fronts and rears for effects) by enabling external front speakers (switch on the back) and also via the sound menu (I think).

To get full 5.1 effects you need to connect DVD via digital (optical or coax) - and set your DVD to output sound in the appropriate mode (bit rate I think).

As I said - I would have to check the detail...

However I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will post the details soon ....

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All. I'll try and help out since I bought the same TV 2 months ago and I still have it (only to be replaced with the new model once I get my hands on it ^_^).

Have a lil look at the audio menu on the TV itself. I'm sure you can assign the speakers through there.

First up, there is only one RGB enabled scart socket. Annoying I know. It is the AV1. AV2 and AV3 are composite and S-Video complient.

Component IMO... Although there is not a huge difference between a good RGB signal and component.

If you want DTS then you can connect your DVD player (via optical or coaxial cable) into the Toshiba TV. All the decoding would then be done via the DVD player and then out via the TV's speakers. I haven't tried this myself since I have seperates but I can take a closer look if you want before the set is swapped.

This would depend on the original aspect ratio of your viewing program. For example almost all digital channels are broadcasted in widescreen (16:9). All terrestrial channels however are in 4:3 unless it is broadcasted in its original widescreen format (like movies for example). You didn't say what you were watching at the time and indeed if you had sky digital or not.

The best way I've found to setup auto aspect ratio switching is to view terrestrial BBC1 and go into 4:3. Then turn to ITV and the ratio should autoswitch into 14:9. Job done, so you don't need to touch the ratio button again.

I can't remember the total output in terms of power from the TV to drive the speakers... If its low then you could end up doing some damage to your speakers. Personally I would advise anyone who wants DD5.1 or DTS to buy a dedicated receiver. There are loads of sales going on and you can pick up a top Yamaha receiver for £200 new. Well worth investing in.

If you HAVE to use the TVs decoder then I think you can regulate its output via its audio menu... Plus why have you got your amp connected anyway if you want to use the TV's decoder?

Unless you have your TVs phonos connected to your amp then of course you'd have to use your amp's remote to control the sound.

Have you set it up correctly? Like telling the NTL box that you're running a widescreen TV, using RGB, etc etc. I don't have an NTL box but I have Sky Digi, of which you can control the volume from. Have another look at its menu and make sure that everything is correctly setup, then double check your connections.

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart 1.

It doesn't. If there is no anamorphic widescreen broadcast/recording being detected, the screen will use the default mode you have chosen. if that is 4:3, it will use 4:3, if it is Super Live, it will use that.

Go to a non-anamorphic broadcast channel and put the tv into the mode you want it to default to. If you think that the ugly super live mode is the one you want, then put it into that. Turn the tv off and back on again and that will now be your default mode.

Could be a wider range through the NTL. Mono and stereo will appear to sound lounger than DPL .

7. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To NeoBlade

Thanks for the info!

Now you've got me worried! You said you were getting the 'new' model. What new model? I just bought my 36ZP18Q two weeks ago thinking it was the latest...

Thanks.

Jules

8. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    neoblade, your making me think now. can i even utilise a normal amp into the equation? this is just a stop gap until i can afford an av receiver in a few months.

my old philips pw9525 tv was pro-logic, had the main output sent to the amp and when i turned the tv up and down the output to the amp would go up and down too. thus never having to go to the amp once its set. toshiba doesn't do this so far.

still don't know where to find centre channel. will iunvestigate further.

i have always watched in superlive so far (ntl signal), every time switched off and return to find switched back to 4:3.

is there a set-up and store place somewhere or does it keep any changes in memory?

stupid question alert - whats component then? should i be looking at this?

cheers

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to correct Neo ;):

This TV will not playback a DTS bitstream even if your DVD player has an on-board decoder. To do this, the set would need to have indivdual 6ch inputs connected to the DVD player's 6ch outputs. The Tosh does not have such inputs.

As for the question about setting the TV's internal speakers as a Center, this can only be done when using the TV's full 5 speaker setup through it's internal decoder. You cannot make the TV's internal speakers funtion as a Center Channel only while simultaneously routing everything else via your AMP.

10. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy,

Mmm. Interesting factoids.

I had not thought about the 6 channel thing outputs aspect of that. That would suggest to me that the next step up sound-wise would be to have the following:

A DVD player that has optical or co-ax digital audio output
    A separate AV amp that has digital audio input
    A 5.1 speaker system to connect to the amp.

BTW - I have now got the centre channel working as expected (so now the TV is providing center and sub-woofer, and front and rear effects are doing what one would expect).

My confusion had arisen from two things:

1 .. The CD I had put in the DVD player (Robin Hood) does not have the Dolby Digital symbol on it (?) and

2 .. I had obviously not "fiddled" enough with the audio input settings in the menus (because SCART 1 was not coupled with DA2 (the co-ax digital input) and hence may have been getting its audio from the SCART lead.

Thanks anyway.

Jules

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe nice one Groundy. Thought I got something wrong there, plus I haven't touched its audio at all since I'm using my receiver for anything audio related. Plus my mind has been set on the Paradigm Servo 15 subwoofer which I should get within the next few weeks ^_^ Should be sweet.

The Toshiba 36ZD26P is the one I'm getting. Been waiting for it for about two months now and it STILL hasn't arrived. I must make a few phone calls because its dragged on for far too long...

The Tosh ZP18P/Q though is still a sweet TV when its properly setup. Just make sure to use Picture Mode 3 then tweak its contrast and brightness up.

Sure thing since you can use the TV audio outs on the back of the set, and then connect that to your amp. Of course you won't get 5.1 but its better than nothing. Once you get your hands on an AV receiver things will be a lot sweeter since you'll be entering the lovely world of AV ^_^ Just make sure you have a good look around and read all the reviews you can for the receiver (or ask the people on this forum). Theres plenty of choice now for all budgets and IMO its well worth the cash.

Ouch! Heh, then again I'm one of those people that likes to keep the original image in its original aspect ratio. Had a lil debate about this before with other members, but its just a matter of preference. It won't stay with SuperLive or any other sub format once the set is turned off, and so far I don't know of any places to store such things. I haven't really messed around with my TV since it'll be replaced so maybe DoubleDoom or Groundy can help you out there.

Better off with a good RGB connection personally. If your DVD player supports component out then you might as well use it. I've kinda wrote about component cables an awful lot recently but just do a quick search mate and you'll find loads of info ^_^

12. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok NeoBlade, I'm gonna bite (cos my curiosity has got the better of me :D )

...So why (or rather how) are you getting your TV replaced? Is the store that sold it to you replacing it for some reason, and if so, why would they do that?

Ok sounds fine, but why Picture Mode 3 specifically?

BTW - I only bought my 36ZP18Q because the one that I had on order at prcdirect took too long to arrive (that was the new 36ZT29).

Cheers!

Jules

13. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Picture mode 3?

You cannot change the settings on picture mode 1,2,or3.
    they are factory presets and cannot be changed.

If you try and change them the tv automatically switches to M (manual picture mode).

I have twiddled and tweaked with THX reference picture dvd's and various other methods here are my settings.

Contrast 65
    Brightness 40
    Colour 52
    Tint 0
    Sharpness 0
    Scan mode 100hz
    DNR off

Hope this helps?

14. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. However, if you select picture mode 3 and then amend the settings, you get dynamic contrast turned off which many, including myself, feel is a better option.

All my settings are below 50 but then my tv doesnt have much light shining onto it.

I switch between 100hz and natural depending on what i am watching.

15. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Doubledoom

Thanks mate I did not know that regarding dynamic contrast,
    I will now have to give it another tinker(bloody hell)
    Can you print your settings?

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purely because I have had some faults with it. Just to clear this up, it can be hit and miss with some sets so you might not get a fault (like on DoubleDoom's set) and conversely you can get faults (like on mine). Remember, not everything electrical is fault free and if it is, you are entitled to a swap or at least a refund.

I'll receive my new Tosh on Thursday and yes it has taken a long time. I pre-ordered mine two months ago now, but at least it will be here. Toshiba had some trouble in stocking the new Tosh hence the massive delay. The only reason I want the Tosh though is for NTSC progressive scan... Of which my Gamecube supports, Xbox (modded) would and also my future DVD player.

Dynamic Contrast is EVIL >_< It royally screws up the image quality with Sky Digital (esp the menus) because the contrast would be set far too high. I would advise any Tosh ZP18 owner to use Picture Mode 3 and then tweak the settings to offer a better picture.

I can't remember my settings right now but its rather close to DoubleDoom's. My brightness is a bit higher though (probably by 3-5 points), Tint is -4 and the contrast is a bit lower. Again I don't have any direct sunlight or any source of light directly at the screen itself, only behind and almost all of my viewing is done with the curtains closed. Once nightfall comes along I just use a rear 40W light behind the TV.