Need help setting up Onkyo receiver

Gino48

Standard Member
Hello folks. I have an Onkyo amplifier (TX SR373) and just picked up a new tv (Sony X950H) and 4k UHD player (Sony X800m2) at Christmas.

I'm a bit confused because my amp doesn't support Dolby Vision and want to connect my 4k player (which does support it) to my receiver. My tv also supports DV so I need help on connecting everything so I don't lose out on the DV experience on selected titles.

My player has 2 hdmi outs. Do I plug one hdmi to my tv and the other to my amp? I'm assuming I need to go this way because if I only attach one hdmi from my player to my amp, I wouldn't be able to pass DV to my television. Am I correct?

If this is right, will I still be getting TrueHD and DTS MA audio from the BD/DVD setting on my amp?

Another question (rather than start another thread).......Do I need to purchase another 4K 2.0 high speed cable for all this to work? Or will a regular hdmi 1.4 cable do the trick? I'm not interested in Atmos because my amp doesn't support it.

Thanks for helping me out! :thumbsup:

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Hello folks. I have an Onkyo amplifier (TX SR373) and just picked up a new tv (Sony X950H) and 4k UHD player (Sony X800m2) at Christmas.

I'm a bit confused because my amp doesn't support Dolby Vision and want to connect my 4k player (which does support it) to my receiver. My tv also supports DV so I need help on connecting everything so I don't lose out on the DV experience on selected titles.

My player has 2 hdmi outs. Do I plug one hdmi to my tv and the other to my amp? I'm assuming I need to go this way because if I only attach one hdmi from my player to my amp, I wouldn't be able to pass DV to my television. Am I correct?

If this is right, will I still be getting TrueHD and DTS MA audio from the BD/DVD setting on my amp?

Another question (rather than start another thread).......Do I need to purchase another 4K 2.0 high speed cable for all this to work? Or will a regular hdmi 1.4 cable do the trick? I'm not interested in Atmos because my amp doesn't support it.

That's correct, use both HDMI outputs on your Sony 4k player, one to the TV and the other to your Onkyo. You will get both Dolby Vision and TrueHD/DTS-HD this way, just make sure you select the HDMI options in the Sony's audio settings menu.

As long as your HDMI cable is a high speed one, you will be fine. Try it and see if you received Dolby Vision on the TV, if so, you're good to go.

HDMI cables are not rated as 1.4, 2.0 as such, just in terms of speed. As above a high speed cable will be required for 4K video passthrough. Some people go for the premium high peed certified cables, available on Amazon and not expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom