Need help setting up my Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound!

L0N3STARR

Novice Member
Hi all:

I consider myself decent at Audio / Video stuff, but this all is going a little over my head, so I'm hoping I can get some help.

First off, here's what I have:

6 in 2 out HDMI Switch (True Matrix SPDIF Splitter)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B3R9PD9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_J5S9FbN1WWT0B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have the inputs of this HDMI switch connected to:
Roku Ultra, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, and another HDMI switch with NES Classic, SNES Classic, PlayStation Classic.

The outputs go to an elgado HD60 Pro and my projector.

My projector is an Epson Powerlite HC2030

Then I have the 3.5mm audio out from the projector connected to the RCA L/R audio inputs on my AV receiver.

AV Receiver is Sony Bravia DAV-HDX265.
It supports Dolby Digital in a few ways. That's actually where I get a little confused, and why I'm not exactly sure how to do everything. It has Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic (II) and DTS, I think?

So the AV receiver only has Red/White L/R inputs but the receiver has 5.1 surround sound.

Here's a link to the site with manuals and stuff.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/dav-hdx265/manuals

I don't currently get 5.1 surround sound. I'd like to. What do I need to do?

My HDMI switch already splits out the audio into SPDIF optical. Do I just need an SPDIF to RCA L/R converter to my receiver? Or do I need something else? I'd appreciate any help! This is not my forte unfortunately! Thanks in advance!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dolby Digital will allow you to access discrete 5.1 surround sound, but is only accessible via a digital connection. The 2 channel connection you currently have is analogue so you cannot convey digital audio from your PJ to the AVR.

Pro Logic is used more as an upmixer these days than a delivery mechanism for surround sound. It was originally used to deliver matrixed surround withinin stereo 2 channel audio prior to the advent of digital surround, but is now more commonly used to upmix stereo content and create pseudo surround in association with content that hasn't a discrete surround soundtrack.

I'd personally suggest you look at getting yourself a more recent AV receiver, one with multiple HDMI inputs. This should allow you to get rid of all the additional HDMI switches and connect your HDMI sources directly to the AV receiver via HDMI. THe video would be passed through the AV receiver and out to your PJ via HDMI while the digital audio is handled by the AVR. The HDMI connections from the sources to the AVR would carry both the video and the audio.

L0N3STARR

Novice Member
Dolby Digital will allow you to access discrete 5.1 surround sound, but is only accessible via a digital connection. The 2 channel connection you currently have is analogue so you cannot convey digital audio from your PJ to the AVR.

Pro Logic is used more as an upmixer these days than a delivery mechanism for surround sound. It was originally used to deliver matrixed surround withinin stereo 2 channel audio prior to the advent of digital surround, but is now more commonly used to upmix stereo content and create pseudo surround in association with content that hasn't a discrete surround soundtrack.

I'd personally suggest you look at getting yourself a more recent AV receiver, one with multiple HDMI inputs. This should allow you to get rid of all the additional HDMI switches and connect your HDMI sources directly to the AV receiver via HDMI. THe video would be passed through the AV receiver and out to your PJ via HDMI while the digital audio is handled by the AVR. The HDMI connections from the sources to the AVR would carry both the video and the audio.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look and respond! Any recommendations on something that could use these speakers so I don't have to reinstall things, by chance?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest not using the Sony or the associated speakers and starting from Stratch.I'd suggest you try budget at least £1K towards this, but it could realistically be more expensive than this given what is available at this point in time. What I umtimately suggest will depend upon the budget you have available to you.

You'll also need a disc player if getting rid of the Sony DAV-HDX265 All in one setup.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom