Need help setting up devices on a network switch

mmaeng2013

Novice Member
I decided to wire my house with ethernet cable to each of the rooms to reduce the number of devices on my wifi, also I have a few that require a LAN connection to work.

Currently I have a Netgear CM1000 modem running to a Netgear GS108 gigabit switch. The modem only has 1 ethernet port, which I connect to port 1 on the switch.

I was able to get my router working through the network switch by first plugging it directly into the modem and letting it start up and initialize. Once it is up and running I'm able to switch it over to the network switch and plug the cable going to the switch into the modem. The current issue I am having, which I believe solving will allow me to setup the rest of my devices, is that my PS4 doesn't want to connect to the internet unless directly plugged into the modem. I copied the settings from when it was plugged directly into the modem and manually set them, it still won't pull a connection.

Is there standard places to get IP addresses, the gateway address and DNS addresses?

maf1970

A modem only provides a method of connection and nothing else. In normal circumstances the modem would connect to a cable router not directly to your network. By leaving out the router, you are leaving out wifi, firewall and DHCP(which is the service that provides IP addresses for the network.) It also forms a vital line of defence as well.

So what you are missing is a cable router - TP Link and Netgear would be a good place to start.

The other alternative if you don't want to buy a router is to make sure each device is running a firewall and Anti-virus and you can then configure them manually(which is time consuming)

mmaeng2013

Novice Member
I do have a router, which is working off the network switch. So I should go modem>router>network switch>devices instead of modem>network switch>router and other devices?

The router is a Netgear Nighthawk AC4000 so I doubt it would slow down any throughput to the rest of the devices

mickevh

Distinguished Member
When you effect the change, your IP addressing may be in a bit of a mess. Power cycling everything will help speed resolution, (basically, power up the modem/router/switch first, then power cycle all the downstream devices,) otherwise wait 24 hours and the automation of DHCP should sort it all out for you.

According to Tim at SmallNetBuilder, NetGear Nighthawk routers tested at about 940mbps WAN-to-LAN throughput. Day to day, you are unlikely to be caning it that hard unless you spend all day downloading Blu-Ray rips.

Last edited:

mmaeng2013

Novice Member
I had to run another CAT cable because the modem and switch are in a different room from the router. I power cycle everything when I make connection changes anyway so that was done. Everything works great now. My service is only 100 mbps right now, which is about what I get at individual devices. The PS4 was able to pull everything automatically so I'm confident everything else will work just fine. Thank you.

maf1970

Glad to hear it is all working now and we were of some help to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom