Need help setting up ADSL/Ethernet Modem for online play

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been trying to work out how to configure my ADSL/Ethernet Modem that I bought from someone here, they'd been running it with x-box live. The reason for buying this is that I don't want to run cables through to my pc which is another room and a fair distance from my console.
The problem for me is that I'm relativley new to pc's having only owned one a few months and I just don't understand how to go about setting the modem up, I'm told that once the settings are sorted out I should be able to run my PS2/X-Box (bought my crystal x-box yesterday:) ) through the modem direct to the phone line, without needing to connect through my pc. This would be my perfect settup so I hope I can get it sorted.
My pc operating system is XP home edition, I think that I have all the neccersaries (512 B/Band, phone filters, ethernet cable, ethernet adaptor for PS2 etc.) so if anyone could help me on setting the modem up I'd really appreciate it:lease:
BTW, the more basic/easy to understand the advice, the better for me as like I said, I'm not yet that wise when it comes to pc's, learning everyday though:smashin:
Thanks in advance for any help, would like to hope that I'll be posting my gamer tag before too long:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Steve, it's a Solwise SAR703a ADSL Router. Hope you can help, dying to get this off the ground. I don't have the x-box live kit yet but if I can get my PS2 running online then I'll buy the Live kit next week:D

SO how do you connect to the net at the moment? Do you have a pci or USB modem with your PC? The 703 is not the ideal choice for what you are trying to do but it's possible.

A router should be looked at as 2 parts. The first side is the modem side. That side connects to the internet via your phone line. The other side is the ethernet side. That is part of a local area network which is made up of PC's, consoles, hubs etc. Unfortunately the 703 has only 1 ethernet port (correct me if I'm wrong). So, if you want to connect a pc and 2 consoles, you will need a switch or hub. That makes it more complicated.

Most routers have 4 ethernet ports so you can send one to each device, usually avoiding hubs etc.

This is difficult to explain and I'm guess you may be confused now.

What you will need to do is get a 10/100 switch like this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451

You will run a cat5 patch lead from the router to this switch. You will then run cat5 cables from this to your xbox, ps2 and PC (assuming it has a 10/100 ethernet port or card).

You will configure the router through your PC (usually by typing it's IP address in exploreres address bar, usually 192.168.1.1)

Whenever a device in the network requests the internet, your router will provide it.

I bet you're really confused now.

A 4 port router would have been much better, but you weren't to know that.

Yeah, it does seem to get a tad cofusing:confused: but I probably don't help matters in my explainations. I'll just try to eplain my situation better.

What I'm hoping to do is use this router ADSL modem (and you're right, it does only have 1 ethernet port) purely for connecting my Xbox /PS2 to the phoneline in my lounge, the PC lives in the bedroom and has it's own modem (a standard USB type) so after setting everything up I don't plan to link the Xbox/PS" to the pc atall. I don't mind the fact that I would need to change the ethernet cable between Xbox and PS2 as I think I'll more likely be playing Xbox Live most of the time anyway.
The person I bought the modem/router from (Jon T I think was his name) did told me to do similar as you said with configuring via the PC, except he told me to enter the address 192.168.7.1 as opposed to 192.168.1.1 as you've said, so perhaps it's worth me trying that 1 number difference. Each time I entered that number into the search bar it would always prompt me to connect to internet, which I couldn't do. Anyway, I'll disconnect now and try the IP address you mention just incase.
I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Thanks again!

:thumbsdow Nope, still no luck with that, it doesn't seem to find anything when I type those IP addresses into the search bar, always get the prompt to connect to internet which I then can't do:mad:

The IP is 192.168.7.1

You need to go into tools, internet options, connections and click 'never dial a connection' in internet explorer. You PC should then see the router if you type 192.168.7.1 in the address bar.

Make sure you change this back before you want the net on the PC again though.

I would suggest you ge the router up and running on your PC first and then transfer it to the consoles. Once it is connecting fine then you can sort out the console side.

What may be happening is that your PC is not being assigned an IP address by the router.

Try the following:

Ensure the PC is connected to the router. Now shut the machine down and restart it.

When you finish restarting and are back in Windows, try this:

Click on Start, then "Run". Now type in "command" and hit return.

This will bring up a window (sometimes called a DOS Prompt).
type in "ipconfig" (without the apostrophes) and hit return.

Tell us what you see on the screen, let me explain what this is doing.

For your PC to "talk" to the router, it has to request and be assigned an address (an IP address which is one of those funny looking numbers in 4 parts).

This command will show us what address has been assigned to the PC, which can be one of two types. If Windows can't find a piece of hardware to allocate it an address, it defaults to an "automatic" address instead. If however it could find a source of addresses, then it will request and be assigned one.

OK, first to Stereo Steve: I tried as you suggested, unforunatly still no joy, still all that I get is the message saying "page you requested not available offline". Any other ideas?:lease:

AOD: I also have tried your ideas, here is the message I received after trying as you suggested:

Ethernet adaptor local area connection:
Media state........................: media disconnected

hm, I don't think I like the sounds of this, there was no IP address given, do you think this modem may be faulty?:rolleyes:

BTW, thanks both for the ideas and keeping it simple with your instructions, may not be having any luck just yet but I appreciate your help:thumbsup:
Keep it coming please:clap:

Lee

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems (haven't been around to sort out by phone again but will try and help again now) ... the modem was working fine (honest) before I sent it off ... do you know if you have a 'normal' ethernet cable connecting it to your PC or do you have a 'crossover' ethernet cable ? ... IIRC it needs a normal cable ... also you may need to check the LAN settings IE>tools>internet options>connections>lane settings - make automatic ...

Jon

OK first to Stereo Steve:
1. Yep, it's switched on alright :rotfl: but I can understand you for checking, sometimes the really obvious things can be overlooked. BTW the Power and PC lights come on but the ADSL light only flashes.
2. Well, I guess I don't know that for sure as I haven't used the ethernet port from my pc before, but it does light-up when I plug the thing in so I think that is fine, also my pc is only a few months old so hopefully things like that shouldn't be playing up already.

Now to JonT:
Ah, I didn't realize that there were different ethernet cables, to be honest I'm not sure which type this is, it came with the PS2 network adaptor, if it helps I'll type what is written on the cable itself: ETL verified TIA/EIA-568-B CAT.5e Patch Cable UTP Evernew G3DE208, all gobledegoop to me:laugh:
I'll go check those LAN settings now and see if it makes a difference, will report back in a min or 2.

Yep, just checked, they LAN settings are set to automatic already

Right, here's an update on my situation, Jon's been helping me out this afternoon over the phone with some relative success (thanks again Jon:smashin: ), so now I can get to the configeration page, I configured the modem.....but.....not there yet:rolleyes:
For some reason the modem doesn't seem to be able to establish a stable connection, the ADSL light will flash and occasionaly stay lit, but if I then try to visit any online page, it drops and starts flashing and I loose the connection:confused:

AOD, since configuring the modem, I tried again what you mentioned, here are the results that I now get:
IP address: 192.168.7.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.7.1

BTW, I don't seem to have any problems with loss of connection with my current PC USB modem so I can't imagine that it's a server problem.

Any new ideas would be gratefully received :lease:

Are you using the same phone cable for the router as for the USB modem? I think you probably also need to check the configeration of your router. Your ISP should have some settings you to use (PAP/CHAP etc.)

No reason why you should have problems assuming you are using the same phone point as for the USB modem.

Funny you should ask that, only 5 mins ago I thought, ah, maybe this cable is faulty, but I tried using the same cable from my USB modem and still no success.
As for the settings, I've used the settings given to me from my ISP (tiscali), still no joy, this is both a mistery and a pain, damn things gonna be flying out the window by the end of the night at this rate:devil:

Does the router have a status page that will tell you the att. on the line or the SNR margin? It should be on the connection status page if it has one.

On the ADSL Propetry settings page you should have NAT ticked, VCI at 38, VPI at 0 Authentication on CHAP, Modulation G.DMT. This is from memory of Tiscali use.

I'ts possible you have a marginal line so Att. and SNR figures would be useful although many routers don't report them.

Originally posted by Stereo Steve
Does the router have a status page that will tell you the att. on the line or the SNR margin? It should be on the connection status page if it has one.

On the ADSL Propetry settings page you should have NAT ticked, VCI at 38, VPI at 0 Authentication on CHAP, Modulation G.DMT. This is from memory of Tiscali use.

I'ts possible you have a marginal line so Att. and SNR figures would be useful although many routers don't report them.

Yes, those are the settings that I've already entered into the router config. I don't know anything about the Att. or SNR figures, I haven't seen them listed anywhere.

Here are the connection details I get when router is connected and I check modem status:

Operation Mode : G.DMT

Data Path : FAST

DownStream Bit Rate = 576 K

UpStream Bit Rate = 64 K

But as I said before, the connection doesn't last long.

PS: I always disconnect the PC modem before plugging the Router in.

Ah well, I'm giving up for today, will check back tommorow incase you have any more ideas.
Cheers, Lee

You're router is connecting at 64k up which means it is rate adapting. this would indicate you have a marginal line for ADSL and your USB modem is better at holding onto the line. Are you a long way from your phone exchange?

If this is the case then that router may not be suitable for your line. There are others that are better but they can be expensive.

I don't know where my phone exchange is, how do i find that out?

Damn, things are going from bad to worse, so this modem might be useless to me after all trying:( What kind of costs would a suitable one cost approx? it's starting to look like I'm gonna have to abandon the whole idea:thumbsdow

It's not always the distance to the exchange, more your line length and quality that will effect ADSL. I'm purely guessing that your line is the problem from the symptoms you get. Also, poor in house extension wiring can cause problems. Is it possible to plug the router into the master socket and disconnect all other extensions?

As for routers that do better, the only one I know is the Draytek 2600 range which have special firmware for high loss lines and this workes very well. This also has the benefit of a great firewall and 4 ports so you could rig up your PC and all consoles at once.

Of course, it will cost you and involve more cabling.

You really need to get someone with expertise to visit and have a look at your system.

Originally posted by Stereo Steve
It's not always the distance to the exchange, more your line length and quality that will effect ADSL. I'm purely guessing that your line is the problem from the symptoms you get. Also, poor in house extension wiring can cause problems. Is it possible to plug the router into the master socket and disconnect all other extensions?

As for routers that do better, the only one I know is the Draytek 2600 range which have special firmware for high loss lines and this workes very well. This also has the benefit of a great firewall and 4 ports so you could rig up your PC and all consoles at once.

Of course, it will cost you and involve more cabling.

You really need to get someone with expertise to visit and have a look at your system.

OK Steve, first off thanks for the continued efforts at hepling me out here.
As far as the line length and quality goes, I have to admit (strangely) my main phone line runs into my loft, so from there I have a 2 way split adaptor, one line running into my lounge(telephone), the other running into my bedroom (to the PC) perhaps this could be a problem, I will try later tonight when I have a bit more time to disconnect all except router and see if this improves anything. I don't know if this counts for anything, but when I had dial-up connection (only had ADSL a couple months now) I did get a nice connection through my PC with same telephone line setup as I have now, infact it was better than most other people I know with dial-up. I would have thought that would suggest that my line is ok, but I could be wrong:confused:
As for the Draytek 2600, just been looking for best prices, best seems to be £140.98 delivered. I can see I will have to think more about this.
Or....maybe I should start thinking on running my PS2/Xbox through the PC, not what I wanted to do but at least it should be alot less expense and I can get it up and running if only as a temporary measure. Do you think this should work ok with my poor line(not having trouble with my PC modem), I've played games like MoH online on the PC plenty without any probs;) If so then what exactly would I need to do it this way and would the PC always need to be swithced on to run the Xbox Live for instance?
I'll get there in the end:laugh:

The extensions could be causing a problem. Your dial-up experience is not really indicative of ADSL potential, some very long lines can connect at 44kbps.

Please note that I am making educated guesses about your situation and I would hate to encourage you to buy something, only to find the fault was elsewhere.

You could very well run the connection from your PC's Lan port, may be simplest as you have a good connection there and whatever you do on the lan side won't affect that.

By the way, I assume by USB modem, you mean you have the Alcatel frog? If so, this little beast is known to be very, very good with marginal lines.

What I would suggest you do on your PC is to go to www.adslguide.org and at the top right you should see 'Speed test'. Click that and run the test, making sure you are not down or uploading at the same time. This should tell us what kind of up and down speeds you are getting with the USB modem.

Also, trying the router straight from the master socket is a good idea. Pull the splitter out completely if possible so you have no internal wiring affecting it. If you can't take all phones, PC@s etc off the line first.

Right then, here are the results of the broadband speed test:

Direction........Actual Speed....................True Speed (estimated)
Downstream:..445 Kbps (55.6 KB/sec.......480 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream:......243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec)......262 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Is this good(ish) or bad?

Oh, and my modem is a Samsung USB modem, it was given free when I sighned up for the 512Kbps package with Tiscali.
I think the idea of runing the connection through the PC LAN port is maybe the best option from the sounds of things, right now I just want to try it all out so the simpler the better really, can always try different later.
So what cable do I need for that task, would it just be a long ethernet cable and just connect the thing up? and would the PC need to be switched on in order to go Xbox Live?

Gonna try stripping the phone line down later BTW, need a ladder to get into my loft first
:clown:

Tetlee,

First of all those results are spot on. You're getting pretty much a full speed connection there. It is possible to get slightly better downloads (we're talking about maybe 10%) but that's not worth worrying about at this stage.

What kind of ADSL filters are you using with your equipment?

Do they have a short cable going to a small box or do they look more like an adaptor that just plugs in directly to your phone sockets? You may need to invest in better quality filters, such as these.

If your Solwise has problems getting connected or "synced", this could be down to:

1. Your line being marginal.
2. Dodgy microfilters.
3. Dodgy extension wiring.

The earlier suggestion about the master socket is an excellent one. One of your phone sockets will say "BT" on the front and have a couple of screws. If you undo these and gently remove the lower half of the faceplate, you'll see some wires and what looks like a phone socket.

This phone socket is the "master socket" for your residence, all the other sockets are fed from this one via extension wiring (the wires you see with the cover removed). Connecting your ADSL equipment directly to this socket will allow you to see if taking the extension wiring out of the equation makes any difference. Check that you get a dial tone with a regular phone in this socket before you connect your Solwise, just so you know you have the right socket. :smashin:

Let us know how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom