Need help setting up ADSL/Ethernet Modem for online play

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Ok, now I've tried plugging the router directly into the main phone socket in the loft, hm, now there're cables everywhere:rotfl: , but the results did have some interest, though no results really.
I checked the router status again while connected directly to the main phone socket. There was an improvement to the Upstream Bit rate (please compare to my post 3rd down from top of this page) now = 288K, Downstream Bit remained unchanged = 576K.
So I thought this seemed promising........but, although the ADSL light on the router would now stay constantly lit, I could not bring up any web pages, and despite numerous attempts I was unable to connect my Xbox or PS2 to Live/central station. Damn, the problems go on and on:confused:
So I'm thinking running consoles through my PC is the only option right now, router is driving me mad:mad:
Could you please tell me exactly what I need to buy if I run network through my PC, would I only need a long Ethernet cable?
Cheers, Lee.

AOD

Morning Tetlee :hiya:,

Okay so a direct connection gives you:

Downstream: 576 Kbits
Upstream: 288 Bkits

Which is exactly what it should be. That's the good news!

From the sound of it, your router will sync correctly and give you a full speed connection. Still need to know what kind of filters you're using though.

As to why you can't actually access the net, it could be a login issue or possibly even your PC not being handed the correct IP details.

In the status page for your router, where you enter your Tiscali user account details, is there something that shows you whether the router has "logged in" to Tiscali? It would probably say something like "connected" or "logged in"?

If it does show that you are logged in or connected, the next stage is to check what details your PC has.

Click Start again, choose run and enter "command", then hit return. Again you'll have a DOS window. Type "ipconfig /all > C:\ipdetails.txt" (but without the apostrophes) and hit return.

This will save your details to a text file called "C:\ipdetails.txt" in the top level directory of your C: drive. Open it up and have a look at it, then post a copy of it here so we can have a look.

I should add that before you do this, it's worth restarting your PC (while still connected to the router) to ensure that it gets the most recent IP details from the router.

Another thing you could try whilst in the DOS window (and hopefully connected) is to enter this command: "ping 64.233.167.104" and hit return. Let us know what you get, hopefully it should look something like this:

Pinging www.google.akadns.net [64.233.167.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.104: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=237
Reply from 64.233.167.104: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=237
Reply from 64.233.167.104: bytes=32 time=185ms TTL=237
Reply from 64.233.167.104: bytes=32 time=1937ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 128ms, Maximum = 1937ms, Average = 594ms

This will try to ping Google (I've given the IP address here rather than the name just in case there's a DNS issue, but that's another story)

Let us know.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I'm back:)

Ok then first off AOD, I tried the things you mentioned, oh and BTW I use the phone filters that look like little white boses on short cables, they were supplied to me from Tiscali.
Windows IP Configuration

Here's what came up after doing:
This will save your details to a text file called "C:\ipdetails.txt" in the top level directory of your C: drive. Open it up and have a look at it, then post a copy of it here so we can have a look.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BigBluey

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-F4-BE-90

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.74.112.66

As for:Another thing you could try whilst in the DOS window (and hopefully connected) is to enter this command: "ping 64.233.167.104" and hit return. Let us know what you get, hopefully it should look something like this:

I didn't seem to get a connection, said something like no packages received, although when I then checked the router status it still said the best vonnection speeds.

I couldn't find anything in the router menus to say wether I was connected/logged in to Tiscali

That's it for now, I'll wait and see what you think about that lot

:rolleyes:

Cheers, Lee

One more thing, I notice on the back of the router there is a 9pin Console socket, I don't have any leads for this, could it have anything to do with the problems I'm having do you think?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom