1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help setting up 3802 + rel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Imran_UK, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Imran_UK

Imran_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have connected all the speakers up, connected a digital coax from my sony 900v dvd to the 3802 amp.

Connected the Rel Q150e using a phono lead that came with it to the Amp, red phono from the sub to the sub connection on the amp.

Lot of knobs on the back of the Rel, how do I set it up corrctly.

Any other tips for the 3802 are also welcome.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok,. I have the REL Q400 and Denon AVC A11SR and the set up is pretty much the same.
    I have set all speakers to small in surround. The REL is set to mode two. Bypass internal crossover and use the amp for bassmanagement. I use the highlevel input aswell for stereo, direct and puredierct, as the front speakers are set to large in theese modes i have the crossover at the REL at 45hz( Thats were my fronts go below -3db).
    To set the levels correct you should use a SPL meter. But if you don't have a SPL meter, use some music u know well with bass and adjust the volume to that music.
    If you look at Home Cinema Choice main page, then select Articles, the choose Subwoofers in the subject line you'll get all the infortmation you need.
    Good luck.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    magking has pretty much summed it up well.

You can use either mode 2 or 4 to bypass the subs internal crossover when it is connected by the phono input.

Also, as he says, connect up the high level (neutrik connector). This will work well for music as the Denon sends full range signals to the front pair in Direct mode (regardless off speaker setup).

Normally set the sub crossover around 5-10hz higher than the lowest bass frequency your main speakers go down to (this is for the music setup) and adjust the high level volume control to suit you.

The low level (phono) volume for movies etc should be set around halfway and then adjusted via the Amps Channel level adjustment (SW).

Setting ALL speakers to SMALL and ALL bass to the sub will generally give the best results.

To balance everything properly you´ll need a Sound Pressure Meter and a test disc such as AVIA or Video Essentials (if you dont have a disc yet use the internal test tones).

AVIA is available here

www.ovationsw.com

Video Essentials here

www.ezydvd.com.au

Hope this helps

cheers

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Out of interest, did you know that the DSP in the DENON remains active in Direct and Pure direct modes to keep the subwoofer active, even though full range is being sent to the mains? As far as i know, the STEREO mode does not send full range to the fronts if they are set to "SMALL".
    To defeat the DSP in the Direct and Pure direct modes, and the DSP is never fully switched off, you set the SUB to OFF in the speaker levels of the Direct mode. The Pure direct mode inherits this setting.

I think the AVC-A1SR will fully switch off the DSP in this configuration.

5. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's correct i think, MarkB.
    Had the ame "problem" with my Denon AVR3300.
    Thats why i use the highlevel connection at the direct and puredirect modes, and sub to off. I used to have only the lov level connected and had to switch between mode 1 and 2 at the REL for music and movies. As you can imagene i got a little tired off that after a while and connected the high level as well.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    One good thing is to make sure you have told the Denon there is a centre speaker installed.

Unlike what I did last night. Thought the sound was a bit crappy from the centre until I realised what had happened.

Doh!

Greg

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thats why i use the highlevel connection at the direct and puredirect modes, and sub to off.

Good idea!