1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help setting my sub up.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by drphibes, Mar 2, 2003.

1. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Well after several years of thinking about a subwoofer I finally took the plunge today and bought a Mordaunt Short 907w.

I wanted this sub as it matches my MS 904 floorstanders and MS 905 centre speaker.

I am running this setup using a Pioneer 737 dvd player and Sony strdb930 amp.

At present I seem to be getting quite a bit of booming and to me it seems rather distorted and not a smooths ounding bass.
    I have had a play for a couple of hours tonight with the frequency/phase knobs but just dont seem to be hitting the right spot.

After searching on these boards I changed my speakers to small and sub to on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Drphibes

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess you don't have a SPL meter then?
    You should think of getting one, or borrow one.
    It's sounds like the volume is set to high, but it can also be bad positioning.

If you have some options in positioning you can put the sub in your seating position, then crawl around on the flor along the walls. The place where the bass sounds best is the place you should put your sub. The recomended spot is usually between the two front speakers.

Try to set the volume by playing some bass heavy music that you know well. Set the bass level to were you can hear the sub, then turn it down a notch. When adjusted correct you should'nt hear the sub, but you should hear that it's missing when you turn it off.

When you have all speakers set to small, make sure you bypass the crossover in the sub., if thats possible on your sub. If it's not possible, set the crossover to max.

The phase you adjust last. Set the phase in that position that gives the most volume.

Good luck
    Regards Hans

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I presume when you refer to your sub matching your main speakers that you are referring to the cabinet veneers as no other type of matching is relevant.

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the tips :)

I did have another play with the sub last night and seem to be lessening the boom.
    I am a little limited to where I can position the sub in my room but I can position it next to my front right speaker so maybe that is a good place to start.

I did indeed choose the 907w for its looks aswell as hopefully its performance.
    The girlfriend was pretty much set against having a sub but hopefully she will come around to the idea and the fact that they all look the same in the lovely cherry colour might make it easy on her eyes but then again who knows:laugh: .

I will report back after more twiddling.

Drphibes

ps no I dont have a spl meter:(

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't find an SPL meter to be of much use with subs and prefer to set it by ear. Most people who aren't happy with their sub have it turned up too loud. Mine is turned up to about 2 out of 10 which is just right.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Ian. SPL meter has trouble reading test tone from the subwoofer.

Even with a deafing test tone from the sub, SPL measures it way under the rest. If I set the sub with the SPL meter and play a DVD, it's pretty obvious the subwoofer is too loud.

I set the rest with the SPL, but subwoofer by ear.

btw, I have found 80hz on the subwoofer a good point, even though my floorstanders are reproducing down to ~40hz (there is bass overlap)

Nathan

7. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

The frequency response quoted in the 907w specs is 23hz-150hz.

I have seen 80hz mentioned as a good spot to set the sub at so on the frequency knob i take it that full left would be relating to 23hz and if I turned the knob full right I would be going to 150hz?

Sorry if it is a silly question but the instructions with the 907w make out that setting a sub is that easy there is no need for any tips etc.

I can see where I was going wrong though right at the start of me setting this sub up.
    I was setting the volume knob at probably 70/80 % and from what I have read this is not the right way to go about configing a setup.

Drphibes

8. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes.
    But when you set your speakers to small the surroundreciver crossover at 80hz (usually, some has 90hz, 100hz, etc)
    If your surroundreciver and your sub crossover at the same frequency, it creates problems. The solution to this is to set the crossover at the sub to max (150hz in your case) and let the surroundreciver handle the bassmanagement.