Need help selling Meridian MF10

stormeez

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my friend has a Meridian MF10 with 0 hours on it, its brand new, all boxed and packed and wrapped : )
He purchased it for potential client, but they cottage renovation took two years and too much money, so they eventualy realised they cant afford an expensive set up, and decided not to do a cinema room yet. And now he has the projector which he doesnt need : )

Im pretty sure everyone on this forum knows this, but just in case, the full model name is, i belive, Meridian DILA1080MF10.

Not entirely sure what the price should be these days, or where to sell it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys,
cheers.

Hehe well, it seems like we can help each other there, mate.
PM me your contact info or something, so we can discuss it.

Gentlemen
I would strongly suggest you use the forums classifieds area, please read the rules before posting!

Zone, thanks for the hint, i will certainly post it in classifieds and thanks for unlocking : )

Guys i really would appreciate if someone can elaborate on how to price it, because the unit was quite expensive when purchased (nearly 2 years ago) but since the time has passed, and new models have come out, I'm not sure what the relevant price would be.

Perhaps there is some other details about the model which i shall include in description?

Can someone help? : )
it was purchased for approx 8000 GBP coupla years ago, and it was supposedly a "dealer price", shall I have something like 6000-7000 asking price now or should ask less?

Can someone help? : )
it was purchased for approx 8000 GBP coupla years ago, and it was supposedly a "dealer price", shall I have something like 6000-7000 asking price now or should ask less?

Your probably not going to like this but having looked into this projector before it appears to just be a rebadged jvc hd100. Unfortunately this is now a sub £1000 projector on the second hand market and i think you would be extremely lucky to get back anywhere near what you paid for it. Sorry.

At ebay.com somebody is trying to sell one for $2500. Even this price seems to be to high, because since 20 days nobody showed any interest.

k, thanks for the input guys, however discouraging it is : )

SiggiUA, I checked the ebay - couldnt find it, even though i tried all possible search phrases that i could think of.

Corrado kid, I suppose I will have to start the research hehe

Aha, okay checked it out. That one seems to have 1500 hours on it, which is not brand new in box : )

Did some research, and apparently it is kind of rebadged JVC HD100, but hand-picked and tweaked by some big lump William Phelps (hope i spelled the name right). There seems to be two gangs of peope: one side says its totaly worth it, and Meridian has done awesome job on it, and when they had a chance to compare the standard unit to a tweaked Meridian, they could see major difference, and were quite impressed, and it's all worth it. The other gang says that Meridian is overpricing it madly, and the whole tweaking thing is overrated.

Oh well, had a chance to learn something new : )

I guess I'll try asking 4-5k GBP for it, hope it turns out adequate.

Thanks for the help guys.

I guess I'll try asking 4-5k GBP for it, hope it turns out adequate.

Thanks for the help guys.

Honestly, and I hope I'm not being rude, but IMHO you're wasting your time trying for £5k for such an old model even if it is tweaked by Phelps:

The HD100 it's based on had 30,000:1 contrast, which even the newer base models match or exceed (HD350 at 30,000:1 X3/X30 at 50,000:1) let alone the higher tier models. Even if the tweaks gained 20% then that's still less than the newer base models, which you need to consider as your competition not the later higher tier models IMHO: They had further improvements such as CMS that your model doesn't have and savvy buyers will be expecting at £5k pricing.

Even though it is a tweaked HD100 it's still a long way back down the evolution chain: Since then the various replacement versions (HD750, HD950, X7 and X70 specifically) have shown further improvements over the earlier models.

Also not just in things like on/off contrast, but also in improved motion, colour accuracy, sharpness and ANSI contrast, without mentioning 3D of newer models. Given that X7s have appeared used for £2.5K then I think you'd need to find a buyer that isn't very clued up on the newer models to get £5k for it brand new in box or not.

In fact as it's not been out of the box there is a slight chance that it either doesn't work at all, or may have poor convergence, plus electronics tend to fail very early on or last for a long time (this might not apply to lamps perhaps as they are a law unto themselves it seems). From the buyer's point of view a low hours model might be better than a zero hours one. It certainly isn't like having an old classic car with very low miles, provided there is plenty of life left in the lamp or a new one is included, then it doesn't seem to make a huge difference to values from what I've seen.

I know it's not great news considering how much it must have cost, but it's a shame it wasn't put up for sale sooner as it must be a good few years old by now as the HD100 equivalent was discontinued over 3 years ago. I'm sure you'll find a buyer, but I think you really need to be realistic in your expectations otherwise you'll still have it in year's time when it will be worth even less.

Last edited:
Just to show you how rapid prices depreciate, a forum member recently sold his X70 which is going to be miles better than the Meridian and their current model for £4k and it was only a few weeks old with under 100 hours use.The X70 is a £7k projector I would think you will struggle to get more than £1k from anyone but a complete newby to projectors.

Kelvin has said it all really also JVC will be bringing a new X55 projector out in 2 months time which has e-shift (kinda like a 4k faux resolution model) that will be £4.5k new with 3 yr warranty again this will be light years ahead of the meridian..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arch...dverts/1650157-sale-jvc-x70-3d-projector.html

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Kelvin, that was very informative.
I'll lower my expectations, then :S

Glad it was useful, if not particularly welcome news. :( I've lost plenty of money on projectors myself, so join the club, you have my sympathy. :)

The Phelps mods did make the thing better.....custom gamma curves, better uniformity, better coloromitry. I was considering licencing the Phelps process from him and had some serious discussions about what was involved (this was about 5yrs ago i think).Having said that, it's still probably only worth around £1000 ...and even that is pushing it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom