Need help selecting streamer !

BigBadDude

Novice Member
I'm looking for a music streamer that has these features:
  • Can stream music from an external NAS drive somewhere on the LAN. I don't want the drive connected directly to the streamer.
  • Can play various audio formats including lossless.
  • Has support for iOS with a decent user interface. So I want to see the entire library of music on this NAS drive and be able to select which tune to play.
  • Has an ethernet port. WIFI is optional but would be nice.
  • DAC is not required, so digital out is required, preferably with USB. I have my own DAC already.
  • Has support for various internet streaming services (Spotify, Qobuz, etc). I'm most interested in Qobuz.
So far, I haven't found anything that can do all this for a reasonable price.

Raspberry PI looks like the best option for this but I don't really know if it can do all this.

TIA.

Helix Hifi

Bluesound Node, the new version. Surely there are other alternatives on the market.

Helix Hifi

You can use the router as make shift NAS. Bluesound supports NAS, pretty sure they do.

If not, send them an email and ask.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Raspberry PI looks like the best option for this but I don't really know if it can do all this.
Yes it absolutely can. My own preference is to install PiCorePlayer and use Logitech Media Server but there's quite a wide selection of different software that may also work for you (Volumio, Moode etc)

Helix Hifi

Last time I checked with Bluesound they told me they support NAS. If not they clearly has given false information.

jamieu

Bluesound/BluOS definitely supports standard Windows / SMB shares ie. from a NAS, PC or Mac on your network.

But you can also do everything you want with a stock Raspberry Pi 4 2GB running Volumio.

Simply flash the Micro SD card, insert it into the RPi and then connect your USB DAC to it directly with a USB-A to USB-B cable — no additional HATs or boards required. Although you might need a cheap MicroSD-USB adaptor to initially flash the SD card. If you want a nicer enclosure take a look at the aluminium Flirc case.

Last edited:

jamieu

Do you install both of those on the Raspberry PI ?

I read up on it, it's clearer now. LMS is an addon it seems.

The terminology / naming is a bit confusing as PiCorePlayer can refer to the whole package (including an optional LMS server install) or just the Squeezelite player part ie. the 'thin' client that LMS sends audio to.

Personally (if a LMS package is available for your model) I’d install LMS on your NAS and then just install a basic Squeezelite player on the RPi - either PiCorePlayer (just the player part) or one of the many audio distros that include Squeezelite support like RopieeeXL (which also adds support for Airplay and Spotify Connect which may be useful fallbacks). But if your NAS doesn't support LMS then just install it on the RPi via PiCorePlayer.

The advantage to installing LMS on your NAS is your audio files will be local to it, your NAS is likely to be a bit more powerful than your RPi and if a 1-click installer is available (for your NAS) it will be quicker to setup. It's problay also easier to backup and less prone to issues (like a SD card failure) when running on a NAS. But as LMS is network based it's really just a case of installing the LMS server wherever is easiest.

You’ll also want to enable the ‘Material Skin plugin’ on the LMS->Settings->Plugins page or else the original LMS interface will look really dated.

Last edited:

jobseeker

As far as I know, Bluesound do not support UPnP or DLNA. They do support SMB network shares. So I think that’s where the questions arise regarding NAS support.

Cebolla

Correct, Bluesound doesn't, but strictly speaking neither has LMS/Squeezebox streaming anything to do with UPnP/DLNA streaming.

Perhaps some are confusing Logitech Media Server's main function as the audio media (your own & online) provider and controller of Squeezebox type players, with its optional secondary & entirely separate function as a UPnP/DLNA media server. Or, with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin that allows you to use a UPnP/DLNA streamer as if it were a Squeezebox player.

Last edited:

BigBadDude

Novice Member
Correct, Bluesound doesn't, but strictly speaking neither has LMS/Squeezebox streaming anything to do with UPnP/DLNA streaming.

Perhaps some are confusing Logitech Media Server's main function as the audio media (your own & online) provider and controller of Squeezebox type players, with its optional secondary & entirely separate function as a UPnP/DLNA media server. Or, with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin that allows you to use a UPnP/DLNA streamer as if it were a Squeezebox player.

If I install LMS on the Raspberry Pi, I can play audio files residing on the NAS?

Do the audio files have to be shared via SMB?

I’m very new to this so excuse my ignorance. TIA.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom