Need help selecting speakers

Eeha

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I have 6 prewired areas in my 12 ft ceiling. I also have a Denon avs x3400h recently purchased .
Apparently connecting all 6 ceiling speakers is a no no and I won't get a good surround sound . I have also maximized my budget.

1. At this point can you guys recommend a very budget friendly set of speakers for the front (2 of them pls ).
Is it better to do 2 in wall speakers and have a center speaker in the ceiling or
Just do 3 on the floor.
Would satellite speaker do the work ? I like their minimal look and modem looking stand .

Thanks in advance

I'd say first of all is take a photo of where the speakers are situated so everyone can get a feeling for the room. As for budget speakers.

Depending upon the hole size, you could look at either the Qi65CB or IC65 as these will be fine for in-ceiling speakers. If you haven't got a subwoofer, I would really recommend one and Diamond SW-150 as it's one of the cheapest woofers you can get in the UK

If you are looking at satellites, These will cost more than the two above options if the other speakers are in the correct locations. If not, then I would say a surround sound package like the Moviestar DX-2HP would be a great starting point or if you are really looking for ultra small speakers, you could use M3 Cube speakers

Going down the in-wall will really require three speakers unless you are going to run the amp in phantom mode which creates the effect of three speakers across the front end when using two. If you are going for that option, you could look at the HC-LCR, but you will still require a woofer like the in-ceiling speakers

As budget is tight, one of cheapest new speakers you can get at the moment are the T50. If its bookshelf speakers, then take a look at the LX-1 or Diamond 9.1 as a couple of budget options. Again, a woofer will help you create the best sound when using a bookshelf option

You've clearly got a desire to put all your speakers in the ceiling so I'm guessing you'll probably end up doing so regardless of what people here say.

I very much doubt anyone will think this is a sensible route to take.

You've pre wired the ceiling which is perfect, why not try and get as close to what dolby suggest even by starting with just a stereo pair.
Then add a sub, then centre ect.

At some point you can add the ceiling speakers for an atmos set up which are the only speakers that should really be on the ceiling in my opinion.

Having two in wall speakers either side of the screen is viable, but a centre on the ceiling. I'm not sure anyone would have ever done that and for good reason.

All the dialogue comes out of the centre so in this scenario a character on screen moves their mouth but their voice would come out of the ceiling however many feet away, it would look and sound ridiculous.

Look at the dolby guidelines and try and get as close to that as your room layout and building structure allow.
Forget about having all your speakers in the ceiling seriously.

Good luck.

You've clearly got a desire to put all your speakers in the ceiling so I'm guessing you'll probably end up doing so regardless of what people here say.

I very much doubt anyone will think this is a sensible route to take.

You've pre wired the ceiling which is perfect, why not try and get as close to what dolby suggest even by starting with just a stereo pair.
Then add a sub, then centre ect.

At some point you can add the ceiling speakers for an atmos set up which are the only speakers that should really be on the ceiling in my opinion.

Having two in wall speakers either side of the screen is viable, but a centre on the ceiling. I'm not sure anyone would have ever done that and for good reason.

All the dialogue comes out of the centre so in this scenario a character on screen moves their mouth but their voice would come out of the ceiling however many feet away, it would look and sound ridiculous.

Look at the dolby guidelines and try and get as close to that as your room layout and building structure allow.
Forget about having all your speakers in the ceiling seriously.

Good luck.
Thank for the clarification .
My issue with placement of the center is that I have a tell fireplace from floor to ceiling like a box. I don't have anywhere to place the center . To thrbledt and right there is large windows.
I'm not married to the ceiling speakers.
It needs to be done right once and for all.

I'm all ears.

I understand. In that case a picture or room plan might help.
Does the screen have to go on the fireplace wall?

Is there an alternative location for the screen that will free up space?
Fireplaces and corners are generally less than ideal for screen location, appreciate if that's the only option you'll have to make the best out of it.

If that's where screen is going can you not fit satellites either side and directly under?

I understand. In that case a picture or room plan might help.
Does the screen have to go on the fireplace wall?

Is there an alternative location for the screen that will free up space?
Fireplaces and corners are generally less than ideal for screen location, appreciate if that's the only option you'll have to make the best out of it.

If that's where screen is going can you not fit satellites either side and directly under?

So here is the picture
If I were to go with inside wall speakers then the walls all the way to the right and left are the way to go but still no room for center.

I'm thinking 2 small satellite speakers to the left and right of the fire place would prob be best .
Again cane figure out a beat case for the center.

Also are there any budget friendly satellite speakers and stands that are sold individually ?

How about these

Attachments

• 20200602_191718.jpg
    20200602_191718.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 52
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You have to decide what you want to do. Speakers in the ceiling for aesthetics sake and keeping a clean look in the room, or speakers for best audio. You have a nice room in the making and it looks as though you have plenty of room for a good 5.1 base level in the correct position.

If you have no choice and can only fit cieling speakers then the front 3 should at least be pointed towards the main listening position.

Ideally the centre should be as close to the.middle.of the screen as possible and the left and right in line.

the surround speakers can be mounted high up as long as they are angled downwards to fire just just above head height in a 5.1/7.1 setup.

in an atmos setup the surrounds should be lower.

If you have no choice and can only fit cieling speakers then the front 3 should at least be pointed towards the main listening position.

Ideally the centre should be as close to the.middle.of the screen as possible and the left and right in line.

the surround speakers can be mounted high up as long as they are angled downwards to fire just just above head height in a 5.1/7.1 setup.

in an atmos setup the surrounds should be lower.

Based in the picture of the room I sent u. 3 front ones are in line and the center is right in the middle of the screen.

I am going to run 3 front ones on the floor to ensure I'm future or (not happy with sound proof lol)
At this point I would like to know if the satellite speaker I posted is good enough for the floor pls .

Attachments

• 20200602_191718.jpg
    20200602_191718.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 38
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You have to decide what you want to do. Speakers in the ceiling for aesthetics sake and keeping a clean look in the room, or speakers for best audio. You have a nice room in the making and it looks as though you have plenty of room for a good 5.1 base level in the correct position.
Decent sound is important to me.
I have a good avr (Denon 3400) and have the opportunity to set my speakers correctly.

BUT I'm upgradinf from a single sound bar u guys so I'm happy with any surround lol
I'm not spoiled

In that case you should go for a good floor based 5.1 at the very minimum. If you are going to put speakers in the ceiling then do so with Atmos in mind. The Denon X3400 will only support 5.1.2 but is a fair receiver. I would take a look at this speaker set up guide from Dolby.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom