Need Help Selecting a New VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by MC Stompin, Mar 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. MC Stompin

MC Stompin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to buy a new VCR. This is so i'll have two VCR's, so I can record sports programmes from T.V and SKY and send them to my cousin in Australia but also keep a copy of the recording for myself.

I don't want to be spending to much, £180 at the most I think. Could someone recommend a good VCR for the job in this price range please.

I've been looking at the SONY SLV-SE710 would this make decent quality tapes?

I've been told that a 6 head machine would be better for me but this SONY machine has a 'reality generator' i'm not sure exactly what this does. I was thinking though.... I have some old sports tapes that i'd like to send him but the quality is a little poor becasue of their age. Would this feature help when making a copy of these old tapes for him?

Or is there another VCR better suited for the job?

Any help or advice would be great,

Thanks.

2. gges

gges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic NV-FJ620B/BS - from about £130. 6 head, Nicam, SP/LP/EP, Vplus. Black or silver. Great VCR. Very reliable, better than the Sony. Hope this helps.
    Rgds, GGES.

3. MC Stompin

MC Stompin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, one more thing.

I'm getting the impression that all the vcr's out at the minute are getting discontinued and new set of models are coming out shortly. Is this true and if so would I be best off waiting to see these new machines ?

4. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'I've been looking at the SONY SLV-SE710 would this make decent quality tapes? '

YES!
    :)

5. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Plenty around the £175 mark.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    What about a TIVO? You don't need a VHS for historical reasons, it may well do all the things you really want the video to do but better? Another option.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently acquired a SLV-710 and am very impressed with the picture and sound quality. There is also a review at this web site which also explains their 'reality regenerator' buzzspeak!!!

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html

The only downsides so far are as follows:

- tape drive noise on play/record seems more noticeable than my last VCR (JVC) (not intrusive though)

- no on-LCD indication of the programme # being recorded. The only way to check is by switching the TV on and selecting the EXT channel. (obviously only necessary when using non Video+ methods of timer recording).

Otherwise a very solid performer and RR seems to work

NigelB