1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help, Right Now!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Saturn82, May 10, 2002.

1. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had Sky Digital for 24 hours now and I'm starting to get hang of it? A couple of min. ago i found out that I could change from PAL to RGB :)

...But there is still some questions

1. The signal Quailty is about 50% How can I improve the quality?
    Bigger co-ax cable? better lnb? bigger Dish?

2. Is there a way to Fine tune some of the channels, cause some of the channels arent getting quit through and keeps freezing!?

Johannes, Denmark

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't tell too much from your mail, but the following may apply.

1) LNB, is is suitable
    2) Footprint, the further north you are the bigger the dish you would require. I feel you may need an 80cm dish.
    3) Direction, do you have the correct astra? There are 2.
    4) Signal strength may register if you are pointing at the wrong sat.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I think 50% is what they set them at!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

1) 50% is reasonable if you are in the centre of England for recieving SKY Digital but you are near the edge of the satellites footprints so as you are aware the signal is weak. I am getting 80%+ on both readings and some people have reported 100%.
    Stronger signal will of course help to retain a good picture when the bad weather comes, rain and snow will cause the signal to weaken and if you are at 50% now it could well be totally washed out later in the year.
    Bigger the dish the better (80cm is recommended in Scotland so should work for you as well), most modern LNB's are very good anyway nowadays and bigger co-ax won't make a difference.
    Check this website, it lists all the channels and the footprints for each transponder...

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml

2) If you increase the signal strength/quality it will clean up those channels that keep freezing, there is nothing in the digibox that will fine tune them.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally Saturn I wouldn't settle for a poor service. I would contact whoever installed it and tell them to come out and sort it out - if you cannot watch all of the channels then surely Sky cannot expect you to just settle for that?! :mad: :confused:
    Legally a product has to be capable of doing what you bought it to do, if it isn't working properly, then don't compromise!

Tell them to come out and sort it!

6. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed it myself. The thing is, I live in denmark :) So, I don't think they'll be willing to take the boat to Denmark and help me with my "bad signal" problem. :D
    There is tree 30 feet in front of the dish. I have a bad feeling that it might be the "signal-killer"

If the signal is up to 60% I get most of the channels... That I'm intrested in getting.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh yeah, I had forgot you were in Denmark! :blush:

I am almost certain that the tree is your culprit - we installed our in the winter and it was fine, but then in the spring when the leaves came out the signal disappeared completetely and we had to move it!

Is there anywhere alse you can put it?

8. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at the moment.
    I'll be getting an apartment in a couple of months (finally!)
    I'm moving 300 kilometers up north from where live now. which should bring me more in the same level as the UK.
    That should probaly help a bit.

9. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Make sure you have clear line of site. At 30 feet distance the dish will clear quite a large tree. Take a look at the angle the LNB arm is going at, if that line is clear then you are most likely OK. I installed one in Russia that went between the branches of trees without problem.
    2. Make sure there are no kinks in your cable and you used proper satellite cable and not normal TV co-ax.
    3. Make sure the dish cant be aligned better, use a digital alignment meter and not the cheap analogue ones as these show strength and not quality of signal. Or use an Analogue one and the digibox as your quality meter.

If this still does not work then increase the size of your dish.

However if you dont get any dropouts at 50% then there is not really a problem. Of course when it rains you might have a problem.

Remember that the ITV channels will be weaker, as the footprint is more over the UK than the others.

Regards

Der Pobman