Need Help Replacing Mini Hifi: Sony MHC-GX255/Panasonic SC-PMX802/Denon DM41?

New Mini Hifi?

• Get the Panasonic - it's likely as good or better than your Sony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get the Denon - they'll be back soon enough

• Keep the Sony - it sounds good and still works

• There's other options in your price range (<600USD)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Eigengrau

Novice Member
Big hello to AV Forums!

I currently have an old, bulky Sony MHC-GX255 and I'm looking to replace it with something more modern (streaming/bluetooth capabilities) and streamlined (I don't need a double tape deck or 3-CD carousel). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a lot of options in this market segment. Best Buy had only two models to choose from; I picked up the Sharp XL-BH250 5-Disc Micro System but returned it when the sound was less rich than the Sony. The other available model looked even worse.

After some online research, it looks like my options are between the Denon DM41 and the Panasonic SC-PMX802. Both these forums and Whathifi have championed the superiority of the Denon, but it also appears to be unavailable everywhere outside Europe. So my big question is really this: will the Panasonic be as good (or better) than the Sony, or should I wait for the Denon to become available again? As long as the quality of my listening experience doesn't decline, I'll be satisfied.

I'm no audiophile, and the tech specs are pretty over my head. I dug up the manual for the Sony, and its specs are as follows:

Frequency range 120 - 10,000Hz
Continuous RMS power output (reference): 65 + 65 watts (6 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD)
Total harmonic distortion less than 0.07% (6 ohms at 1kHz, 40W)
Speakers are 3-way, 3-unit bass-reflex type with 2cm dome super tweeter, 13cm cone woofer, and 5cm cone tweeter with nominal impedance of 6 ohms
Power consumption: 110W

For the Panasonic:

Frequency range "as high as 50 kHz" according to their marketing
RMS output power: 60W + 60W (1kHz, THD 10%, 3 ohms)
Speakers are 3-3, bass-reflex with bamboo charcoal PP 14 cm woofer, silk dome 1.9cm tweeter, and 1.5cm piezo super tweeter
Power consumption: 43W normal use

Sources: Specs - SC-PMX802 HiFi & Portable Radio - Panasonic UK & Ireland

What do you think? Will the Panasonic stack up? Will the Denon ever be available again? Is there any other option out there?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

password1

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately numbers on paper don't tell you how it sounds. Thise aren't great figures if they're quoting high THD and unknown low frequency.

The Denon is probably a safer bet, I have one of their old units. Im sure the newer units are better.

The Panasonic is unknown.

Does your current Sony have inputs for you to add a Bluetooth/streaming device? Perhaps look at upgrading the speakers?

Eigengrau

Novice Member
Unfortunately numbers on paper don't tell you how it sounds. Thise aren't great figures if they're quoting high THD and unknown low frequency.

The Denon is probably a safer bet, I have one of their old units. Im sure the newer units are better.

The Panasonic is unknown.

Does your current Sony have inputs for you to add a Bluetooth/streaming device? Perhaps look at upgrading the speakers?
I was afraid of that. Hoping to avoid the hassle of repackaging/shipping/refunding the Panasonic from some online vendor if it doesn't work out.

Even the 40-page user manual doesn't mention the frequency range. The best I've got is some review saying "the PMX802 reproduces sound from the low frequency limit of 50 Hz".

I could look into a bluetooth cassette adapter for the Sony. Could finally make use of the tape deck after about 15 years of inaction lol.

Someone voted "there's other options in your price range". Please elaborate??

password1

Distinguished Member
The other option is to keep the Sony and add a Bluetooth receiver.

what inputs does the sony have?

Hokusai Wave

What is your price range, Peter Tyson have this as a refurbished model, probably very similar to the Denon

Eigengrau

Novice Member
Less than ~600USD or ~700CAD or ~£425. I live in Canada. It doesn't look like Peter Tyson delivers overseas, and if they did I imagine it would substantially increase the cost.

muljao

I know you mentioned mini hifi, what do you actually need (sources example CD, radio Bluetooth etc)

Eigengrau

Novice Member
My needs are
--at least as good sound quality as existing system
--bluetooth
--3.5mm AUX in (the Denon doesn't have this but I could use an RCA adapter as a workaround)
--controls on the unit, not just the remote (the Sharp micro system failed here as well, )

Nice to have:
--CD Player (don't listen to CDs often anymore but also not ready to accept the obsolescence of the thousands of dollars I invested in my CD collection)
--fits easily on a shelf

Don't need:
--radio
--tape deck

muljao

If it was me I'd look at something like this

Edifier S1000MKII Audiophile Active Bookshelf 2.0 Speakers - 120w Speakers Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX HD - Optical Input - S1000MK2 Powered Near-Field Monitor Speaker with Class D Amp Amazon product

You could add a CD player or even a DVD player for small money to take care of CD duties, the fact that they have optical and coax in have you covered on all fronts.

There are other similar ones, edifier are generally good value

muljao

Such as
Klipsch R-15PM Powered Monitor - Black (Pair) Amazon product

Eigengrau

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't even considered that some speakers alone could have the features I'm looking for! I'll do some more shopping around.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom