Need help regarding a stand-alone 5.1 surround sound system

refuseliam

Standard Member
Hey everyone, really need a bit of help here. I'm looking for a stand-alone 5.1 surround sound system that would accept the following;

Multi region DVD player
PS3
Sky HD system

Most systems I've seen come built in with either a DVD or blu-ray player. Would a stand alone home cinema system be the route to go?

I live in the UK and everything I seem to come across has a built in DVD player, I really would appreciate help on this issue. Many thanks

Liam

Silverblack

Hey everyone, really need a bit of help here. I'm looking for a stand-alone 5.1 surround sound system that would accept the following;

Multi region DVD player
PS3
Sky HD system

Most systems I've seen come built in with either a DVD or blu-ray player. Would a stand alone home cinema system be the route to go?

I live in the UK and everything I seem to come across has a built in DVD player, I really would appreciate help on this issue. Many thanks

Liam
hi liam sony have just come out with a new speaker and subwoofer system its called the HT-AS5 which has 3 hdmis and one out, its rated at 1000 watts with all the amplification and connections built into the back of the sub.

its also 3-D ready and has auto speaker calibration and bravia link all at a cost of £349 looks pretty nice to. checkout sonys sight for more info.:smashin:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
Sounds like you should be looking at a proper separates system. These start at around £400 or you can get the Onkyo 3305 for £300. I have not seen or heard the Sony system but would definately look at the Onkyo set. It is based around a separate AV reciever and speaker set and in my experinece these sound better than the all in one packages by the likes of Sony/Panasonic etc.

Duke

Will 2nd PSM1. Just seen the Onkyo he mentioned above (popped in to RS today on my travels) and it looks the "nuts" for the money. And if everything I've read is correct, it's based on the 308 so should give you all the connectivity (and quality) you can get at the 300 pound mark.

Silverblack

i actually own a separate av amp myself and only brought up the sony as i don't know if you wanted to go the separate route or if you wanted a quick all in one system and also the price factor.:)

Duke

i actually own a separate av amp myself and only brought up the sony as i don't know if you wanted to go the separate route or if you wanted a quick all in one system and also the price factor.:)
Same here. I only brought up the Onkyo system as it's really the only one I have read (and remembered:D) any reviews of, and the only one I've really looked at as an all-in-one that actually has any sort of future proofing.

I suppose it's not really an all-in-one as the receiver bit is more or less a standalone receiver and it doesn't have a BD/DVD player built in. It's more of a speaker/amp "package" more than anything - but ideal if you've already got a BD player and other sources you need to connect.

And 300 notes is a genuine bargain IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom