Question Need help! re: DVR audio out connection

milklizard88

Novice Member
Hi, I have a problem!

TLDR: Getting fuzzy incomprehensible audio quality through cctv microphone when connected up. How do I hook up my RCA female audio out to headphones/speakers.

I have...

This Hview DVR that has 4 microphone inputs and 1 audio output.
This microphone plugged into the power supply and the 1st audio in RCA socket (the whole issue could be this thing is faulty)

I plugged it in but I had nothing that would connect to the audio out socket speakers-wise.

I tried this RCA male to 3.5mm female adapter but when I plugged it in, I get static-y quiet fuzzy ruffling... sound is there when you tap on the mic so there IS a connection but it's not working. It sounds like 3.5 headphone jacks sound if you haven't pushed the plug in far enough. If I flip the RCA male sockets the fuzzy sound switches from right to left headphone, so I thought it might be an issue with the fact this was a stereo adapter. Soooooo...

I then tried this RCA male to 3.5mm male (my headphones also have a 3.5mm socket so I thought the 3.5mm male would still work), I thought as there was just one RCA plug, this would solve my little stereo issue but to my dismay, it sounded the same, only now I couldn't flip the audio from one eardrum to the other, I'm not sure why I would want to.

My limited knowledge on this stuff would suggest the RCA audio out is stereo combined in one socket and the above adapters are single but I just don't know how to fix this.

So I am at a bit of a loss what to do next. Ideally I want it to be through a headphone rather than a speaker but I would like the flexibility to do both if needed.

P.S. I found this video which suggests I need a "BNC male to RCA female and then an RCA male to 3.5mm" but this doesn't make any sense to me, the audio out jack is RCA female so wouldn't I need RCA male to BNC female then an adapter of BNC male to 3.5mm . Would this work?

mushii

Distinguished Member
As the manual makes no reference to audio support it maybe worth emailing the manufacturers. When you plug the mic into Mic 1 you should be able to hear the audio through the TV you are monitoring it on, when looking specifically at Cam1.

milklizard88

Novice Member
Thank you for the replies.

I had a look in the Q and A on amazon and a shopper suggested it's 12V 1A, I think the power supply I'm using is 12V 3A but it has this 4 way splitter. I will check tomorrow

I will also use the included 2 way splitter that came with the mic, I think the idea is you split the cameras power supply using this, one output for the mic, one for the cam, I will see if this provides a solution but I don't think it will help.

milklizard88

Novice Member
Nope :(

I used the included 2 way splitter on one camera and the microphone and I got the same result unfortunately

Any more suggestions? It seems really weird that it would be difficult connecting an audio out to some speakers, is there not just an adapter? Could the dvr be faulty?

milklizard88

Novice Member
Nope, a dc power supply didnt make a difference, maybe the microphone is faulty? Does anyone have any suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom