Need help putting together a home CCTV package for my home

On the early cameras that supported H265 you’d have reduced quality options but I haven’t seen that for a while now.

I had the camera installed last week. Really happy with them so far. I would like to tinker with it but it isn't as user friendly as more consumer-like products :)

Any reccommendations on things i should enable disable?

Also, installer said H265 was okay but that it was the H265+ that had the issues?

I need a trained ferret to get some wires where I want them.

Made some holes in the asbestos! soffet boars to take Network sized cable connectors, but they are at gable ends (best location IMHO) but so far I've been unable to get anything to go thru the hole, kinda bend and twist in such a way I can get hold it in the loft.

I could be 1" away or 2 feet away from grabbing it as it's working blind, no space, laying on stomach with loft insulation in my face and arm stretched as far as possible.

Horrid.

Need to come up with some method I can't think of yet, I've tried magnets on wire, extending tape measure etc.

I know how you feel as I have done similar. You don't want your cameras at soffit height though, unless you live in a bungalow. The cameras will be too high and you'll just see the tops of people's heads. Ideally you want them around 2.5m off the ground.

I bought some electricians rods. I run my cables up inside the cavity of the house to the loft. They come up just behind the soffit. What I do is drill an 8mm hole where I want the camera at as steep an angle as I can and go through the outer brick, I then feed the rods through until they reach the top (sometimes there is insulation in the way). I then go into the loft and get the end of the rods and attach my CAT5e cable (you could use CAT6 but CAT5e is cheaper and easier to work with and fine for PoE cameras). Then back outside I pull the rods back down and the cable through the hole. RJ45 end fitted and camera on the wall. I then need to go back into the loft and run the cable to where I want it and fit another RJ45 end (if connecting directly to the NVR/PoE switch) or punch it down on a patch panel.

I know how you feel as I have done similar. You don't want your cameras at soffit height though, unless you live in a bungalow. The cameras will be too high and you'll just see the tops of people's heads. Ideally you want them around 2.5m off the ground.

I bought some electricians rods. I run my cables up inside the cavity of the house to the loft. They come up just behind the soffit. What I do is drill an 8mm hole where I want the camera at as steep an angle as I can and go through the outer brick, I then feed the rods through until they reach the top (sometimes there is insulation in the way). I then go into the loft and get the end of the rods and attach my CAT5e cable (you could use CAT6 but CAT5e is cheaper and easier to work with and fine for PoE cameras). Then back outside I pull the rods back down and the cable through the hole. RJ45 end fitted and camera on the wall. I then need to go back into the loft and run the cable to where I want it and fit another RJ45 end (if connecting directly to the NVR/PoE switch) or punch it down on a patch panel.

Funnily enough I actually bought THIS kit a few months ago, to hopefully help me:

But it's actually too stiff to use to get round the bend enough :(

For the record, yes, It's a bungalow ;)
I literally just went outside with a tape measure to double check ;)
The holes I've made to take the cable (will be the middle of the camera) is exactly 2.4m from the ground.

I hear your recommendations and know what you mean, it's just really hard.

If you can imagine, I'm at the very front of the roof, in the loft, so it's all down to almost no height, and laying on stomach, with arm outstretched can just feel over the edge of the internal brickwork.

So the cable has to go down this gap, and into the soffet area, then move away from me, past the end of the brickwork, and then loop around, and back up to find my hole!
It's hard to explain without pictures!

I got lucky elsewhere. I got two flexi rods with a strong magnet taped to the end, poked out in from outside, and went fishing (blindly) in the loft, and managed to get them to connect.
However at this location I just did not get lucky.

I could be literally 1" away or 18" away I don't know.

LED's on sticks and Camera's on flexible rods will be next attempt I guess...

I could tie the cable around a mouse, poke thru hole and place cheese in the loft and hope! ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So, still loving my setup. However, sometimes it doesnt pickup line intrusion, which means I don't get a push notification. It has only happened a few times. But a little annoying.

Also, my installer said I could have it wired up with my aerial in my roofspace so that TV's can see the images around the house (that are connected to my aerial system). How would I go about doing this and what would I need?

So, still loving my setup. However, sometimes it doesnt pickup line intrusion, which means I don't get a push notification. It has only happened a few times. But a little annoying.

What are your settings?

Also, my installer said I could have it wired up with my aerial in my roofsace so that TV's can see the images around teh hosue (that are connected to my aerial system. How would I go about doing this and what would I need?

I would think it would be easier to get a cheap Android box connected to your TV and load Hik-Connect on it. I keep meaning to try sideloading the app onto a FireStick to see if it works.

You'd need something like a TV Modulator and connect it to a loft box splitter.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks guys.As for my settings, I dont know!MY wife had our first baby about a week before the install. I literally have had no time to have a paly with it. It's jsut been left the way the installer set it up! But I guess if I want a helpful answer I need to actually give you guys some proper information!! Sorry! Will maybe get a play this weekend..... maybe hahah

In turns of android box - are there any you guys have used that would work well for this? I only really need it on one tv!

thank you

Will maybe get a play this weekend..... maybe hahah

Haha, I know what you mean, I have a list a mile long of things to do!

I access mine using IE11 (newer browsers don't allow the plugin to display the video feed). Just go to the IP address of the NVR and login, you can then see the cameras individually and do the settings. The NVR may not let you have access to all the features of each camera, in which case you need to enable virtual host and access the camera directly. There's a windows app too that you can use

Can anyone recommend an android box to use with my TV?

Just a bump on this. Keen to order ASAP :)

That sound okay, I was quoted closer to £2K for the same. At what height are they fitting the cams, hopefully not high up under the gutters, mine are just above ground window height.

Do you need 6TB? I think I use 2 or 3 in mine and that sufficient.
Nice avatar!

Go back to @mushii 's comments on p2, a few options there.
I see he mentioned an android streaming box. Will any do or is there some which people know are good?

So what I have found is the Hik-connect app isn't avaialbe on the Android TV I have. I had to download a third party app (I forget the name) and then add in my ONVIF cameras manually. It was pretty laboureous until I plugged in a keyboard. THe box I have also didn't seem powerful enough to run the streams fully either. You could see the time skipping.

That's disappointing. Has anyone got it working well with a specific device? Ie a firestick 4k or something?

Yea I use my pc as well. However, being able to view the cameras on my TV in the living room with a ups be really useful for my wife as she doesn't use my pc.

Yea I use my pc as well. However, being able to view the cameras on my TV in the living room with a ups be really useful for my wife as she doesn't use my pc.

Can your wife not view the app on her phone?

I haven't read back, but I think you had a pro installation. What does the installer recommend?

She can yes. But viewing on a 65inch screen is much better than a phone. Installer recommended a link from cameras into my aerial. But the cost would be higher than an android box. I have read ppl are using it with an android box so I'd like to go this route. I could also use kodi on the box to access my nas files too which would be great.

The other option would be either a long HDMI cable or a HDMI other Ethernet adapter and run some Ethernet cable to your TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom