Need help putting together a home CCTV package for my home

neonplanet40

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Currently, we are looking at installing CCTV around our house. I would be keen on any help you might have.

Purpose:

• To keep an eye on the property while away and also act as a deterrent
  • My inner geek likes tech :)
  • If anything was to happen at the house, have video evidence which police could use.

For the cameras: We are thinking off:

1. 4-5 outdoor cameras
  2. Motion sensing
  3. Good quality night vision
  4. Good picture quality
  5. Able to withstand Scottish weather
  6. Audio capability (to hear what is being recorded? - this isn't essential.

What we want from the system, overall:
  • We want to be able to connect to the cameras via our mobile phones, computers etc and view live videos and stored videos.
  • We would rather they were wired, as wireless (if my Ring is anything to go by) isn't the best and highly dependant on wifi signal, etc. So maybe PoE?
  • We would need a storage device of some kind for these to record to. I have a Synology but you need to pay for licenses etc. So I would prefer to have a separate DVR/NVR or similar with maybe a WD Purple or similar in it. But I guess it is this device that would make my above requirements possible?

We would most likely get a professional to install the cameras.

I would be keen to hear people's advice.

Thank you!

I have four cameras, perfect night images & can view images away from home.

Hi guys. I am thinking around the 1000 quid mark. Would that be enough? If I could get someone to fit them for that price I'd be very happy lol

I am located in Central Scotland. Near Stirling.

I'd recommend Hikvision, the proper stuff not the budget HiLook/Hiwatch version.

I have a 8 channel DVR and 4 black turrett cameras powered by POE from the DVR itself, cost me about £800 for the kit and fitted it myself. Quotes from companies were ~£2000 fitted.

I'd recommend Hikvision, the proper stuff not the budget HiLook/Hiwatch version.

I have a 8 channel DVR and 4 black turrett cameras powered by POE from the DVR itself, cost me about £800 for the kit and fitted it myself. Quotes from companies were ~£2000 fitted.
I would agree with this.. the HikVision kit is excellent and if you are able to run the cables yourselves, it takes the major install costs out.. the POE stuff is great..

Well currently I have the following list made:

• Switch: - D-Link 8-Port Gigabit PoE Smart Managed Switch DGS-1100-08P
  • Synology Licence x2
  • 4x Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I IP camera 8MP 2.8mm
  • DS-1273ZJ-140 - Bracket for cameras – x3 or so
  • External Cat5e cable
  • WD Purple 6TB
I just need to read more about how the Synology is used and ease of installation etc.

Save the money on the switch and the Synology licenses and buy an NVR with built in POE switch. Easier to configure, easier to use. You can still back up your files to your synology if you want to without taxing it. You also better have a brand spanking new Synology with a beefy processor if you want to run 4 x 8MP cameras off it. 8MP is total overkill for most domestic installs and requires a lot of processing power. A 4 or 5MP should be more than adequate. If you are viewing it on your phone the sub stream, even on an 8MP camera is still going to only be 640 x 480.

The Synology I have is a DS2415+.

In terms of a separate NVR - Such as getting a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8 is around £380 not including HDD. So include the WD purple above and you are looking at around £500 for the NVR.

Comparing this to my Synology which needs 2 licenses (as it comes with 2), a switch and an HDD - cost = £300. So that's quite a big saving, to be honest.

The NVR is nowhere near that price- I should know, I install them. Plus you could save a lot on installing 5MP cameras rather than 8MP.
Your choice though

HI Mushii, thanks for the information. Can you show me where it would be best to buy it from? I am not against getting an NVR. But anywhere I have seen it, it is expensive and doesn't include the HDD.

If you can find it a lot cheaper though then I would definitely consider it.

I contacted a local company and they are unable to help with my requirements as they don't offer Hikvision products. So still trying to find a fitter local.

Thanks

I paid about £200 for my Hikvision NVR and about £70 for a 3TB WD Purple hard drive.

Where did you get it from? The only place I am really finding it is online use-ip shop.

cctvkits.co.uk are the official UK distributors of Hikvision. They are excellent for discussing your needs with recommendations.

Where did you get it from? The only place I am really finding it is online use-ip shop.

I bought mine from a friend who has an account with a supplier. I believe Hikvision has a rule that prices can't be public, you need to login to get them which is why many sites doesn't list the price until you get an account.

When I was shopping around for mine, years ago. Once you have discussed what you need, they will give you prices.

cctvkits.co.uk are the official UK distributors of Hikvision. They are excellent for discussing your needs with recommendations.
They are an Official Wholesaler - They are not THE official distributors. There are plenty of wholesalers and distribution partners (Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond) in the UK. Being an Official Wholesaler just means that they are authorised by Hikvision to sell to the trade installers (definitely not to the public as it is a breach of their Official Wholesaler contract with Hikvision).

Just FYI, USE-iIP are also HIKvision authorised and found their customer service and pricing very good when recently purchasing some DS-2CD2345 4MP Turrets. Just need to take 5mins to sign up for an account.

The NVR I bought is £226 on Use-IP. I bought my last camera from them. Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2-8P | 8 Channel Network Video Recorder

I've got the same model, good price but use-ip seem to be expensive for cameras, I got mine at about 30% off their prices. I've just got one of these higher res models to replace my front cam, cost me £145 Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I\/B 8MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera

One thing to bear in mind when choosing between NVR and server, Hikvision NVR's are very loud, they need to be located somewhere where the noise won't bother you.

I've got the same model, good price but use-ip seem to be expensive for cameras, I got mine at about 30% off their prices. I've just got one of these higher res models to replace my front cam, cost me £145 Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I\/B 8MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera

One thing to bear in mind when choosing between NVR and server, Hikvision NVR's are very loud, they need to be located somewhere where the noise won't bother you.

They price matched the camera for me (the white version of the one you linked to). It was about £176.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom