1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Powering an Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vladmyir111, Aug 6, 2005.

1. vladmyir111

vladmyir111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a car audio amplifier that I am trying to use for a set of speakers inside my house. Obviously the only power input terminal available on the amplifier is the positive line in from the car battery and the ground cable line.

How can I convert this type of input for home use from a regular wall socket?

Any help is much appreciated thanks.

2. pipbull

pipbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way to do this would be to buy or obtain a mains input/12volt output DC power supply from a suitable supplier.

This will need to be anywhere from a 3amp minimum or more output current dependant on the power requirements and output of your car amplifier.
    Also remember that car audio amps are usually designed to give most efficient power output when feeding a 4ohm (resistance) speaker load.

Normal home speakers are anything from 4 ohm to 8ohm ,generally around 6 to 8 though so you may not get best use of the amps available power unless the matching is similar.

Sorry to be so technical but these are relevant issues.

However to conclude ....a 12volt DC power supply with as much current output to match your car amps input current requirements(should be in the amps spec sheet or unit itself) will be required.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the transformer would be pretty big, most are about 0.5 amps (500 mA), and it will get pretty hot.