Need help - postal address

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by higenbs1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Am hoping for some guidance here. Have moved into a new property recently, which is an older building which has been converted to a house (mine), and a upstairs flat next door. Neither property has a number, and both have the same name, except next door has the words '- The Flat' afterwards.

Have been having some problems recently with mail getting misdirected, and what's worse is the chap next door is never there, so I'm often having to wait weeks before I can get my mail.

I've spoken to the post man, and he's made a note, although it can be a different one each week. I've put a sticky note on my front door, to tell the postman all post for me to go in here.

The thing is, whenever I've used websites that prefill your address using a postcode, it's only ever my house that comes up, not the flat next door. I'm wondering if it's even a valid registered address.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get it registered. Obviously the owner needs to call someone, but would it be the post office, local council or someone else. What happens with new builds? I guess it would be a similar process.

Thanks

2. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    It's the local council you need to see :smashin:

3. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I registered my property over a year ago (selfbuild) and its still hit and miss on websites. I'm currently having trouble with car insurance becasue the property isn't on their listings. Online shopping isn't tooo bad as I can usually select the house next door and edit the address.

I'm assuming many of these databases are only updated annually.

4. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Great. Thanks. Will give the council a ring! :thumbsup:

5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    Don't expect a quick resolution. I changed the name of my house when I moved in 5 years ago & it's only in the last 12 months that everything seems to have been updated. The council & Royal Mail updated their records quite quickly but as Miniholic said, it can take a while for other systems to catch up.

Insurers seem to be the worst.

6. ian494

ian494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It is Royal Mail you need to contact to change the name of the property. Each month every Delivery office has to update the Postal Address File with a set number of changes, these changes can be new buildings, demolished buildings, business gone away, businesses moved in or house names.

The local manager will be happy to receive the info, the updates take up to 6 weeks to be added to the PAF, but can take months for companies to get their database updated from PAF, as Royal Mail charge companies to use the database.

Hope that helps

Ian

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
  8. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I think ian494 was right. Go to the Royal Mail website and use the address finder, its free for 15 goes ;). This is what the place I work for uses the check any address if your not on it then you don't get any goods. Its a big mail order company by the way :smashin:.

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    So you have to apply to the COUNCIL who if they approve, WILL INFORM ROYAL MAIL.

Royal Mail allocate post codes to addresses. They have no authority to create or alter addresses. Surprised you went as far as looking at the link & then quoting it but completely failed to understand it. :rolleyes:

10. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Its actual the council you need to speak to, all property addressing issues are dealt with by them (local planning office). You can't just pick a name/number either, it has to be approved by the council - my property fit straight in with the numbering, but they still considered making me give it an 'a' suffix rather than the available number.

The council then notify Royal Mail and other interested parties such as the Police, Fire Service, TV Licensing, Valuation Office and a long list of other agencies.

It's all well and good the Postman knowing where your house is, but if its on fire or you need the Police I'd like them to know about it too.

The developer should really have done this before you moved in. Do you know what is shown on the deeds? I had to wait for confirmation of the address before I could register mine with the land registry.

11. ian494

ian494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think you will find that if you want to rename your property, from say 2 Acacia avenue to The High Chapperal, 2 Acacia Avenue, then it is Royal Mail that need to be informed and they will update their Postal Address File. It is Royal Mail that own the Address Database. The Council only allocate the new addresses, any changes can be put onto Royal Mail's Database from the owner of the property. Once Royal Mail have the new details, then any company that purchases the database will have the relevant details.

To clarify you can add any name you want(as long as it is legal) to your property, the council do not have any say in this.

Hope this helps.

Ian

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400120&mediaId=9200078#3400062

So two of us who have actually been though the process have posted that it's the responsibility of the local council. I've posted a link to a local council web site confirming this & yet you still believe it's the responsibility of RM. This despite RM's site specifically saying it's nothing to do with them & also confirming that applications have to be made to, & approved by, the local council.

I give up. :suicide:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  13. ian494

ian494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    We do not name or number properties or streets. This is the responsibility of the naming and numbering authority (usually called the Highways or Engineers Department) at your local council. You’ll need to make your request to them in writing along with a few alternatives in case your first choice already exists.

If your property is officially numbered you can’t swap the number for a name but you can use a name in addition to the number.

Please read the quote from the Royal Mail link. I was responding to the OP in the case that he has an adjoining flat that is getting his mail and he needs to know how to differentiate the two. He can call his house anything he wants, as long as he keeps the officially allocated number given by the local authority. I was merely stating that you can name your house anything that you want, and Royal Mail will add that to their Official Database.

Is that clear enough?