Need Help Please Xbox 360 - BT Voyager 205 - BT Socket

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by diggy.1, Mar 23, 2006.

1. diggy.1

diggy.1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I really need some help please for what should be an easy solution for some of you out there.

I am with Wanadoo Broadband and was hoping to go from Xbox 360 Via ethernet to BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router Straight into BT Socket.

It doesnt get past the DNS bit when trying to connect up.

I have a pc upstairs and access the internet using a usb speedtouch modem, But dont want to go through the pc for xbox live as big tv is downstairs.

Do i have to connect the voyager 205 to pc first and configure it before taking it downstairs to hook up with 360?

I am new to this kind of stuff so if anyone has a dumbo's guide i would really apreciate it,

Is this of any use?
    PPP Adapter Wanadoo Broadband
    Connection Specific DNS Suffix
    IP Address (i have the numbers for this)
    Subnet Mask (255.255.255.255)
    Default Gateway (i have the numbers for this)

This from wanadoo page
    DNS

Domain name service is dynamic - but if domain name server (DNS) addresses are required, you should use 195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.95

(On an earlier thread i read this "Make Sure DHCP is enabled, Set to PPPoA, Set DNS to AUTO, Remove anything that says Dial On Demand, Set connection timeouts to 0") Havnt done any of this as bt voyager 205 via ethernet cable into nic card nothing happens, Dont know how to get into configuration.

Please help me out FARCRY PREADATOR is out next week and i need to get this sorted before then.

Thanks for any positive reliable info in advance.

Steve:lease:

2. diggy.1

diggy.1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the sound of it all i have to do is get the voyager 205 configured by adding my isp username and password.

"To set or update your ADSL connection settings:

Click http://voyager.home to start your Internet browser and open the Configuration Manager. If this address does not work, try http://192.168.1.1 instead. The Configuration Manager opens at the Quick Start page shown below"

Heres the problem, I use a speedtouch modem that plugs into pc via usb, Now i also have a nic card in pc that i used to go online with xbox using xlinkai. I have plugged the voyager into the nic card via ethernet card and it says Local Area Connection 2 Enabled. It sent some packets and the time is ticking away so i know its connected, I also ticked allow connection sharing on the speedtouch connection for the internet. But now i have hit a brick wall, I just want to get the bt voyager configured. Any help would really go down a treat at the moment as im thinking alcohol is the only answer at the moment, I know these things always have a stupid easy answer to them but im baffled at the moment.

3. diggy.1

diggy.1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got into the voyager part and entered my isp (wanadoo) username and password.

Then run a test,
    Diagnostics
    Use information on this page if you are having problems connecting to
    the ADSL line or the Internet. If any of the basic tests fail, click Help for
    an explanation and possible troubleshooting.
    WAN Interface: ppp-0

Connected to computer PASS
    Synchronised with ADSL line FAIL
    Connected to ADSL local exchange FAIL
    PPPoE Server N.A.
    Connected and authenticated to ISP FAIL
    Connection to Internet FAIL

Thats me stuck again, Tried using voyager 205 to connect to xbox live but just failed on dns again.

As you can see i am having a go, going around in circles and getting nowhere.

Surely someone on here can stop me from going insane,?

I must be getting closer to getting it working, Or am i getting closer to throwing the 360 through the window putting my foot through the tv and heading straight to the nearest pub.:suicide:

4. diggy.1

diggy.1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting there now i think, Had to go to internet options/connections/never dial a connection/ lan settings/automaticaly detect settings. That got me on the net and passed the test below.

Testing Connectivity to modem
    Testing Ethernet connection PASS Help
    Testing ADSL line for sync PASS Help
    Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS Help
    Testing Telco Connectivity
    Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS Help
    Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS Help
    Testing ISP Connectivity
    Testing PPPoE server connectivity N.A. Help
    Testing PPPoE server session N.A. Help
    Testing authentication with server PASS Help
    Validating assigned IP address 84.71.158.106 PASS Help
    Testing Internet Connectivity
    Ping default gateway 62.25.195.22 PASS Help
    Query DNS for www.bt.com PASS Help

So hopefully there shouldnt be much more to do except plug into 360 and find it saying dns failed,

For any thick bas**rd like me heres some info on dns (for me it stands for don't know sh*t)

Domain Name System (DNS) servers map the user-friendly domain names that users type into their Web browsers to the equivalent numerical IP addresses that are used for Internet routing.

When a PC user types a domain name into a browser, the PC must first send a request to a DNS server to obtain the equivalent IP address. The DNS server will attempt to look up the domain name in its own database, and will communicate with higher-level DNS servers when the name cannot be found locally. When the address is found, it is sent back to the requesting PC and is referenced in IP packets for the remainder of the communication.

Anyway thanks for (no-one helping out) if i get this working and bump into you on Farcry in about 10 days time when its released, dont look puzzled when some guy called Fallen Champ keeps dropping you with head shots.

Seriously tho this stuff is stressfull, I will be glad to say if i get this working, And hopefully might be able to help someone else out in the future,

5. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thats connnecting fine now.

Have a look on my site under FAQ for instructions on the 205, as you will need to put it in a DMZ for it to work.

6. diggy.1

diggy.1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers shadowman, I think i read an earlier thread of yours, Someone left some details for the advanced settings on using a voyager 205.

I got on live earlier, And must admit i thought the xbox 360 headset was a big improvement on the rainbow six 3 headset i had on the xbox.

If anyone else has any problems with 1 of these bt voyager 205 modem/routers email me and i will have a go at getting you hooked u, Hopefully loads faster than it took me.

Cheers

These forums are great if you look far enough you will find the info you need.