Quantcast

need help! played with onkyo receiver settings - need sound fixed!

mysticalice

Standard Member
I have an Onkyo HT-S6200 that i just got and hooked up to my new projector. Blu-ray player feeds through the receiver, to the projector, both audio and video, via HDMI.

Here's the problem:
I set it up, plugged the microphone in, and went through the 'calibration' settings. Watched a bit of a movie, and everything sounded great.

Then i started playing around with the receiver, and pressing the 'music' and 'movie' buttons on it. It scrolled through several settings: "neo 5.1" and a few others. Each one sounded different. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get it back to an optimal setting - one for watching, say, a blu-ray or DVD. how do i fix it? run the speaker calibration again? Help me out here please! :(

Also, i noticed the maximum volume is '79'. Well i've watched pieces of several movies, and i'm watching them at volume 70-72. It's loud, but not overly loud, just right for the movie. To me, that's a lot closer to the 'max' than i like... not really a whole lot of 'headroom' in the system. Is there some setting perhaps that i'm missing? I have it set up in a 13x12' room, so it's not overly big.

Thanks in advance to the answers to both questions.
:)

Duke

I have an Onkyo HT-S6200 that i just got and hooked up to my new projector. Blu-ray player feeds through the receiver, to the projector, both audio and video, via HDMI.

Here's the problem:
I set it up, plugged the microphone in, and went through the 'calibration' settings. Watched a bit of a movie, and everything sounded great.

Then i started playing around with the receiver, and pressing the 'music' and 'movie' buttons on it. It scrolled through several settings: "neo 5.1" and a few others. Each one sounded different. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get it back to an optimal setting - one for watching, say, a blu-ray or DVD. how do i fix it? run the speaker calibration again? Help me out here please! :(

Also, i noticed the maximum volume is '79'. Well i've watched pieces of several movies, and i'm watching them at volume 70-72. It's loud, but not overly loud, just right for the movie. To me, that's a lot closer to the 'max' than i like... not really a whole lot of 'headroom' in the system. Is there some setting perhaps that i'm missing? I have it set up in a 13x12' room, so it's not overly big.

Thanks in advance to the answers to both questions.
:)
First of all you might try adjusting the input level for the source in question(input). This is designed so that each input or source can be heard at similar volume levels (ie so one source isn't massively louder than another when switching between them). try cranking that up a bit.

You might also try adjusting speaker levels independently and ramping them up by a few db's as required.

As far as the surround settings, someone else can fill you in on that because I can't remember what settings I have on mine at the moment and I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction...:confused:

Hope that helps...a bit at least.

logiciel

There must be a section int he manual about how to specify a Listening Mode for each Input.
Go through them again, pick the one you like best for each, and set that.
You can always change them while you're listening.
No-one can tell you what the optimal Modes are - that depends entirely on your own taste.
I don't know their HT systems but on an amp a volume setting of 70/79 WOULD be very high.

Top Bottom