1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help picking LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by deadred, Nov 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hi guy's (and gals), i'm considering buying an Lcd screen and have been to comet to check out various screens (i'm not buying from there but wanted to see them up and running)

I quite liked the Thomson LCDB03B and the JVC LT26C31 as my price range is (very) limited and didn't want to spend over a grand :blush: so these fit into that bracket.

I'll be using the LCD for TV, xbox and watching dvd movies, i've got a panasonic dmr-e55 dvd recorder (don't know if you need this info but having read other posts thought i'd better give it) and will be sat approx 2-3m away from screen. No sky or freeview boxes are to be connected (not yet anyway) so was wondering what the terrestrial picture would be like, and also for watching football.........is it true smearing occurs on LCD?

ermm..........i think thats about it, i hope someone can be bothered reading through all of that and give me some useful advice

Forgot to mention, i'm not that bothered about connecting a pc to the LCD as i've got a Laptop and the screen is perfect

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should take a look at the Sharp 26GA3E / 4E. You can get it for under £900 and it's supposed to be a very good screen. I don't have one myself (considering the 32" & 37" models), but everyone I've spoken to says they're brilliant displays.

They also have <16ms response times, so there should be very little (if any) ghosting and smearing.

You could also get a 27" Toshiba (27WL46) for around the same price.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dreaded,

Looking at your price range (£1300) you can pick up a Sharp 32" LCD in either the LC32GA3E or LC32GA4E flavours. Both are exactly the same except for GA3 has speakers on the bottom and the GA4 has speakers on the side, both models have detachable speakers by the way. These units can be sourced for £1250 on the net and you can get 3 years warranty from Sharp if bought before the end of the year.

If 32" is a little too big, then take a look at the Hitachi 28LD5200 at Currys online (£999) and get yourself a freeview PVR and some nice cables.

Have a search on the forum for more info on these sets. I shall be opting for a GA3 just after crimble. Hopefully santa will give me a whole heap of JL vouchers and get a pricematch !!!

HTH,

Richie.

4. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks for the reply Richie, but my price range is only upto a grand, and i'm only after a 26" screen anyway, 32" would be too big. Thanks for the advice though

5. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I agree, the GA4 and GA3 series are hard to beat, for both price and features. I can't think of any other 26" with DVI, component, 1366x768, detachable, speakers etc etc.

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'd second the vote on the Sharps, excellent sets, just waiting for mine to be delivered.

It was down to that or the Toshiba's both were far superior to the Thompson....

Shop around they are available in lots of places for under £1k (try Empire direct, flatdeal.com etc). Or if it is really an issue have a look at Robert Whyte, a little more but have 18 months interest free and 5 year warranty....

Cheers
    Marc

7. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Thomson is a nice looking unit but has a glass cover over the screen which has an annoying knack of reflecting light.

I have found the LT26C31S for £799 on the RGB Direct website. I'm tempted myself as I am just about to buy but the Sharp for £917 from TV and Video direct may be a better bet based on all the good feedback.

8. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Yeah i was looking at that on the RGB website, is it the same spec as the black JVC? I was very tempted but i'd much prefer it in the black, anyway after the advice of the members here it looks like i'm going for the Sharp LC26GA4E, i've shopped around a bit and found Robert Whyte do it for £1059.99 with a 5 year warranty, which seems a bargain..........anyone know any different?

9. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen it for under £900.

10. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has that got a five year warranty though?

11. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered one from Empiredirect.co.uk for £897 + £20 p+p. I believe that Sharp offer 3 years manufacturers warranty but can't confirm.

I've never used an extended warranty on anything so I don't buy them anymore. If it breaks I'll buy a replacement. After a year it will cost virtually nothing to replace like for like as the prices plummet!