Need help picking a big ass plasma please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ch0pper, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've happily owned a PAnasonic PV500 for over two years now.

The house I'm going to be moving to has an enormous living room. Much bigger than the one I'm in now. The viewing distance can be anything from 10 to 25 feet away depending on how the room ends up laid out (which will also depend on the TV).

I was originally thinking of a 1080p projector and screen. Problem being that I've seen most of the movies I want to see by the time they're released over here and my wife watches East Enders etc a lot (I really don't want to see Dot Cotton's face towering over me while I'm tucking into my tea)!

so...... I've been thinking of just getting a big assed plasma that'd be in a similar price range to a good 1080p projector and screen plus fitting and putting my existing one elsewhere in the house.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the bigger sets and what do you recommend?

Thanks!

2. FuzzyinLondon

FuzzyinLondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well, from 25feet away, you'll definitely want a projector. I don't know anyone on these boards who sits that far away from their tv without binoculars (now there's an idea). Alternatively, you could ask Panasonic if you could borrow their 150" Plasma.

Joking aside, I think you definitely need to set the room up first and decide what your viewing distance will be. It's very hard to recommend a tv when your min and max viewing distances are so far apart.

3. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sound advice thanks.. I wish I'd done the same with my current setup as I often wish I'd have put the 50" in!

Still.. No regrets. That 42" Panny has done me proud for the last two years. I'll find it a good home in the new place too.

I think my main worry with the projector was watching regular-ass TV on it. You know.. You've been Framed, Eastenders etc. Isn't it just a bit TOO big?

I've been eyeing up the 58" Panny Plasma that's out for about 3 grand. Not much more than I paid for my 42" over 2 years ago!

That 150" looks crazy :)

4. Tom500

Tom500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe all normal TV should be changed to Regular-Ass TV :rotfl:

5. jameshardy89

jameshardy89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, I completely agree with what the other dude said about setting up your living room first, before making any decisions.

10 feets and 25 feet viewing distances make a hell of a lot of difference.

If it does turn out to be 25 feet, the only option you should be looking at is a [-]150 inch panny[/-] 1080p projector.