Need help on placement

phatsua

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just started remodelling a very old apartment from the '60s. I would like to fit a projector in the living/media room, however i cannot go about it and decide what should be the best placement options..

Until now this is what I came up with. What do you thing, i am still open to suggestions and will try to populate with pictures as the construction advances.

Floor plan
Living-Media Room.png

Screen placement
Screen%20Placement.jpg

You could have an even bigger screen on the tv wall if you go for a pull down or electric screen. A 10ft wide screen viewed from 10 feet away is like a commercial theatre seating distance ratio wise, and that way you only have to run one set of speakers etc and potentially don't have to change anything (especially if you go with an AT screen). Just hide the screen in a soffit/pelmet that runs around the room (or in the ceiling if the joists go the right way).

Gary

that would definitely be a more immersive experience .. and would fix some of my seating problems.. you don't think its to extreme right?

For a 10ft wide 16:9 screen it might be a bit too large sitting 10 feet back if it's too high on the wall (2.35 movies should be fine on the 16:9 screen though), so you could go for for something a bit smaller - what we usually suggest is that you get the projector first then experiment with different screen sizes by projecting onto the wall, and seeing what size suits you best, then get a screen to match.

You'll need a short or ultra short throw projector to get the size you want from within 10 feet - it's from lens to screen so with an 11' wall to wall distance, the pj lens will be at about a foot from the back wall with something like a Benq W1070 for example. With something like a 1070 you can get close to a 118" diagonal 16:9 screen which will be around 102" wide and 58" tall. Always make sure the screen isn't too high because if you have to look up for a long period of time, it can be fatiguing. Your eyes when seated should fall around a third to half way up the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom