Need help on finding a laptop :)?

Cathaoir99

Standard Member
Hey guys, im looking for a new laptop. Things id like to have
-Decent Graphics card (run minecraft lol)
-Big enough size screen
-Relatively new (or atleast comes with windows 7)
-loud enough speakers
-reliable
-looks nice (not necessarily)

I will mostly be using it for web browsing, watching movies, listening to music and video editing/music mixing and playing games!

My budget is £400
Id be happy with a refurbished laptop, or second hand on eBay, if you laptop is good!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Iccz

Your best bet is keeping an eye on the Dell Outlet:
http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet

You will get best bang for buck from there, I'd recommend looking at the XPS L502 - these will come with a card along the lines of a 525M which will be alright for Minecraft :)

Right now there is one:

XPS L502x
  • XPS L502x
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
  • 4 GB (2x2GB)1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
  • Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA II (7200 RPM) Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive : Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
  • Display : 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
  • Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card
  • English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
  • Back Up Media Not Included
  • Wireless: Intel Wireless-N 1000 Card
  • LCD Back Cover : Silver WLAN

Click here for available options and upgrades
Price: £395.98
Price excl. VAT and delivery

Great value for what you get there, has a 540M as well, pretty solid card that. Will touch over budget with VAT and delivery, but still, that's just one example, you can get a 525M in budget.

Iccz

The problem with on-board graphics is you have to drop your draw distance to get a steady framerate, I've tried a few times with laptops with on-board graphics and it does struggle a little. I would definitely recommend going dedicated if you want smooth gameplay with maximum draw distance (really useful when playing online as not to disturb neighbours with intrusive builds).

It would run, but it depends how you want to run the game.

ducattigezzer

i see your a fan of asus but that spec that Iccz put up for the dell is a fantastic price to get a similar spec asus your looking at double your budget.

and if your wanting to play games a separate gpu is a must as your'll only regret it down the line

mediamatt

Banned
Hey guys, im looking for a new laptop. Things id like to have
-Decent Graphics card (run minecraft lol)
-Big enough size screen
-Relatively new (or atleast comes with windows 7)
-loud enough speakers
-reliable
-looks nice (not necessarily)

I will mostly be using it for web browsing, watching movies, listening to music and video editing/music mixing and playing games!

My budget is £400
Id be happy with a refurbished laptop, or second hand on eBay, if you laptop is good!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I was just about to put up a brand new asus laptop on the classifieds for £450 , brilliant spec , dont know if yor interested?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom