• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help on damaged iphone 3gs and how much would it cost from apple ? u used them ?

Meridius

Hi all

My friend has just given me a 16gb iphone 3gs which is totaly damaged.

the faults i can see so far

1. 25% of the touch screen does not work
2. the phone part of it does not work
eg. making calls
3. theres a crack at the back of the plastic.
4 the sim tray will not eject.
5. it looks like he might of been inside of it as there is 1 screw missing from the bottem
6. god knows if there is any other damage
7. why do people not look after there phones. lol

yes its a mess but i was woundering if apple would fix it or would they replace it with a refurb.

if so what would this cost to me to fix it or to replace it. do you think i could ask for a replacment ? over getting it fixed as the phone seems like its seen better dasy and dont know if i would get this 100% fixed perfect.

its a shame as i got it for free and would like to get it sorted instead of chucking it.

any advice would be helpfull

thanks

Last edited:

Meridius

Anyone have a ball park figure or idea

Cheers

jerryq7777

£120 at an apple store they will swap it for a refurbished phone.

Meridius

Cheers mate. What sort of Condition are apple refurbs like. And do u get any warrenty with it do u know.

Also the one I have is locked to O2 would the replacment be unlocked as I am on three
And would I get to keep the damaged one

Also does the refurb come with anything as I don't have a charger
Cheers

Last edited:

jerryq7777

It will look like brand new comes with 90 days warranty will be locked to O2 and no accessorys.
They keep the old one.

Meridius

Will they ask what network it's on and could I not just say three? Why would they lock it to O2 as this wold no longer need to be on O2

Meridius

Cheers I read that about O2 which I find disgusting to pay that ammount just to send an unlock
Code. Now I remember why I left them.

Might phone th and try it on and see if I can get this done for nothing.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Cheers I read that about O2 which I find disgusting to pay that ammount just to send an unlock
Code. Now I remember why I left them.

Your current network three also charge the same (£15,32 actually) to unlock so don't know why you are so disgusted.

If you have a phone or Mobile Broadband device that you've bought from Three and you want to get it unlocked, we can unlock it for you if:

you've had your device for 30 days
you've paid your first bill
you pay a one-off fee of £15.32. You'll need to pay this fee over the phone when you call us for your unlock code, using a debit or credit card. So please make sure that you have your card to hand when you call us.
Note: If you're on Pay As You Go or you've just upgraded, you won't need to wait 30 days or until you've paid your first bill. We can unlock your device as soon as you buy it from us.

Message - Support - Three

EDIT: Just checked up on the other networks and orange charge £20 and Vodafone charge a 'administration fee' if in contract or less than a year in PAYG. So O2 is actually one of the cheaper networks for unlock plus o2 only charge for PAYG, contract phones are free to unlock.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
All Vodafone contract phones are now supplied unlocked except the iPhone which you have to ask them to unlock but they do this for free (I know this for a fact as my wife just had her iPhone unlocked).

Meridius

Cheers for all the help.

Went to the apple store and they would not fix it or replace it as my friend who owned the phone must of went inside to try and fix it and because of that they would not touch it

Bugger never mind

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Apple will normally do an exchange replacement provided that the iPhone is still in one piece. As it says on their website "Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service." The details are on their website Apple - Support - Service Answer Center
You could always try another Apple Store or just call & get the repair/replacement sorted out that way. You can even pay extra & get them to send you a replacement phone before you send your broken one back (Emergency Repair Service).

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Your current network three also charge the same (£15,32 actually) to unlock so don't know why you are so disgusted.

Message - Support - Three

EDIT: Just checked up on the other networks and orange charge £20 and Vodafone charge a 'administration fee' if in contract or less than a year in PAYG. So O2 is actually one of the cheaper networks for unlock plus o2 only charge for PAYG, contract phones are free to unlock.

I *think* that 3 will only unlock phones that came from them (and are obviously locked to 3) for the original owner.

Not a prob if the OP's friend got it form 3 in the first place, but if he got it 2nd hand it may be an issue.

Meridius

Apple will normally do an exchange replacement provided that the iPhone is still in one piece. As it says on their website "Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service." The details are on their website Apple - Support - Service Answer Center
You could always try another Apple Store or just call & get the repair/replacement sorted out that way. You can even pay extra & get them to send you a replacement phone before you send your broken one back (Emergency Repair Service).

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited:

Meridius

been to a phone shop that fixes these phones and i got a screw from him that was missing from the bottem of the phone for nothing.

I decided to take it apart to have a look and i can see what what my friend who owned this phone has done, its the number 3 ribbon cable that attaches to the pins by a clip, the clip has come off and he tried to use masking tape to keep it there. what a dummy i wish i knew that before i took it in.

I have took the tape off and atached the other 2 ribbon cables and now looks like the plastic clip on ribbon cable 3 has come off or been damaged, i put the phone back together and also used the extra screw i got for nothing and looks better no more missing screws.

so do you think i might have a chance this time ? would it be best to take it to a different apple store.
the reason why the phone part does not work is becasue the number 3 ribbon cable is for the ear peace. but as its apart of the logic board i dont think they would repair it and also the sim slot is buggered and has a few cracks on the back plastic.

how would i ask for a refurb would i just say i dont want it fixed and would like a replacment. would i need to wait a few dasy for them to look at it or could i get one there and then

what you think ?

cheers

Last edited:

jerryq7777

Try another Apple store just tell them the screen is faulty.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Apple don't repair iPhones in store. They give you a replacement refurbished iPhone & send the broken one away to be refurbished. If it doesn't look like it's been taken apart then I don't see why they wouldn't do an exchange for you. Tell them that you dropped it down a concrete flight of stairs in a multi-story car park & now it doesn't work.

Meridius

Cheers taking it in on sat will let u know how I get on

Meridius

Hi all got it replaced today yay. The thing is when I got home I put a three sim in it and plugged it into iTunes but said this sim was not supported so I paced a O2 sim in to get past the iTunes screen then once the dashboard was up I turned the phone off and paced the three sim in the phone and it worked. I tried txt and making calls and all worked.

I plugged it back into iTunes and synced some stuff and worked ok. Does thus mean the iPhone is unlocked then ?

Also I gt an 2 emails one for the payment recipet and one to the original owner but to my email saying it had been replaced and fixed and had 90 days warranty.

Why would apple send me some of his details to me about the swap since I now own the phone. Just thought it would have my name.
Had his name and postcode and the problem with the phone. Strange

Professor Chaos

they have his details as the phone was registered under his name when he bought it.

And yes, congrats, it looks like you got yourself an unlocked iPhone !!!

Well done.

How much did it cost ?

Meridius

they have his details as the phone was registered under his name when he bought it.

And yes, congrats, it looks like you got yourself an unlocked iPhone !!!

Well done.

How much did it cost ?

Hi there

Is this normal sending people other people's info when you buy 2nd hand iPhones or passed on iphones. It's just i am going to sell my iPhone 4s my own when the 5 comes out and do not want other people getting any of my info ?

Q1 Is there a way to register the 3GS under my name so that I get none of his info and also that I now own the phone

Q2 how do you deregister a iPhone before sale or is it up to the person who buys it to do this

Q3 why did iTunes not me use the phone when I had the three sim card in as it said it was an incompatible sim if the phones unlocked ? As I needed to put the O2 sim in to get past the iTunes screen then put the 3 sim card back in to use it which seems to work. I would of thought it would just let me get past the iTunes screen with the three sim card in. Any ideas how that worked

I got the 3GS off my mate for nothing as it was totally damaged and he did not want to pay to get it fixed as he got a replacement from O2 so I took it to apple and paid £119 for a new replacement plus 90 days warranty

I am busy looking for a box and charger and cables for it now on eBay and just bought a case for it as the wife is not getting her hands on it till its all nice and secure in a case. Lol

Cheers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom