Need help - new to the PJ world

optomanewbie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am relatively a novice to the PJ world and need to buy one for my daughter to play her PS3 Move on. I would also love to play the occasional movie on it (Blue Ray).

I am getting a fantastic bargain (I think as it currently sells on amazon for 270 pounds) on a new optoma DS330 SVGA projector under 150 quid as a friend who just bought it has to travel abroad on work and wont be able to use it. My only concern is whether it will work with the PS3 and will the picture quality be sharp enough since it is rated as a DATA PJ. Will it work with a HDMI cable? I will ceiling mount the projector about 7 feet away from a White wall where I will project and will have a viewing distance of around 8 feet.

Will this solve the purpose? Any advice will help.

It will take an hdmi input so can be connected to the PS3 but it is not a widescreen projector so not that suitable for films/games as it has a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than a 16:9 shaped image.

It is also 800 x 600 pixel so not a min of 720p for hd, personally I would find an extra couple of hundred and buy a new 720p model or for £200+ used you should be able to find a 720p or even £200-250 for a used 1080p pj which will be much better for movies.

Thanks kbfern. Considering that my viewing distance wont be too far from the wall and the screen not projected too big, is it still a bad buy?

From a 7ft mounting distance you are only going to get around a 55" diagonal image so not much bigger than a tv size.

If you want a bigger image you will need an ultra short throw pj. These can do up to 100" from around 5-6ft throw. Optoma do some pj wit ultra short throw, second hand about £250 for a 720p model (GT750).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom