Need Help!!! Need good towers for my Yamaha DSP-Z9

AudioManiac

Standard Member
Hello everybody this is AudioManiac from India.

I am a young guy and have fallen in love with multi channel audio. Though I respect the so called "Analog Stereo" purist, I have my own way of enjoying music, I just get amazed by the amount of sonic information & detailing these 5.1 channel DVD discs contain which can never be expressed in a two channel stereo. And yes I am a much more of a music buff than a movie fanatic.

My love for multi channel music had led me to hunting the so called US $ 4,000 plus Uber A/V amplifiers, recently getting hold of a pre owned $4,500 Yamaha DSP-Z9 which used to sell by the name of RX-Z9 is US, the difference being RX has a tuner and comes in black, where as DSP comes in titanium/ gold and lacks tuner. These amp was availble from 2004 to 2008, mine being a bought in 2007.

Yamaha DSP-Z9

dspz9front.jpg

dspz9rear.jpg

dspz9inside.jpg

Here are the DSP Z-9 specs I was able to gather:

1) Format: 9.2 channel A/V amplifier

2) Manufacturer Rated Power [20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.015%THD, 8 ohms]: 170 watts X 7 + 50 watts X 2

3) Continuous Power [20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.015%THD]:

2-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 170 + 170 watts, 6 ohms = 215 + 215 watts, 4 ohms = 290 + 290 watts
5-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 150 Wpc, 6 ohms = 180 Wpc, 4 ohms = 220 Wpc
7-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 130 Wpc, 6 ohms = 153 Wpc, 4 ohms = 190 Wpc

4) Dynamic Power: 2-channels (Driven simultaneously):
8 ohms = 210 + 210 watts, 6 ohms = 260 + 260 watts, 4 ohms = 340 + 340 watts, 2 ohms = 580 + 580 watts

5) THX Certification: Ultra 2 [This receiver passes the 3.2 ohm all channels driven high current torture test mandated for THX Ultra2 Certification.]

6) Power Amplifier Input Fuse Rating: 20A, 250 volts

7) Power Transformer Type: Toroidal

8) Power Transformer Rating: 1500 VA

9) Power Capacitors: Nichicon 28,000uF X 2, 80 volts

10) Power Amplifier Rail Voltage: +- 65volts

11) Pre & Power Amp Section: The DSP-Z-9s pre & power amplifier circuit design architectures & PCB layout are exotic in nature and are found on US $10,000 plus separates. The pre-amplifier section uses a fully balanced wiring for audio signal transmission with high quality gold plated relays to achieve low noise & distortion and feeds the symmetrical driven fully discrete push-full power amplifier circuit configuration with a complementary FET input stage. This ensures fully balanced power output with no signal interference and highest slew rate (rate at which signal changes; affects high frequency response) and balanced clipping. Furthermore, the massive 1,500 watts low impedance toroidal transformer and a pair of high-grade Nichicon 28,000uF/ 80 volts power capacitors ensure a consistently stable power supply. This type of design architectures are extremely rare for A/V amplifiers

12) Capacitors Used: Nichicon Gold Tune [Best caps for audio]

13) Diodes: High quality Schottky Barrier Diode for High Gain S/N ratio

14) DAC: 24 bit, 192 kHz Burr Brown PCM1792DBR with DSD compatibility. Passband Ripple = 0.00001 dB, Stopband Attenuation = -130 dB

15) DAC Configuration: 9.2 channels use six PCM1792DBR DACs. It uses differential DAC configuration for the center channel, while the rest uses standard single-ended DAC configuration.

16) SNR: 129db/ 132db [Single-ended Configuration/ Dual-differential Configuration]

17) Dynamic range: 129db/ 131db [Single-ended Configuration/ Dual-differential Configuration]

18) Pure Direct Mode: Yes.

19) Speaker Relays: Gold plated relays

20) Volume Control: Highly accurate adjustment in variable steps of 0.5 db

21) Graphic Equalizer: Individual 9 band graphic equalizer for each of the nine channels

22) Tone Control: Digital tone control for front & center channels

23) Digital Link: iLink

24) Speaker Terminals: 24 Carat Hard Gold Plated

25) Video: Video switching between composite/ S-Video & component video with up-conversion upto 720p/ 1080i. Down-conversion facility is also available.

26) Multi Zone Support: Yes

27) Front Panel: 100mm thick extruded aluminum front panel

28) Weight: 66 lbs

29) Awards: In 2004 won the most respected and coveted EISA award --> Best Home Theater High-End Component. Link : EISA Awards[/URL]

30) Links: Yamaha.com[/URL], AV-Land[/URL]
------------------------------------------

Right now I want to own a good pair of towers for my DSP-Z9s front channels. I am a self proclaimed bass fanatic and really like the Polk Audio Rti A9 with its triple 7 inch bass drivers. But I am music lover too, so I do not want the mids & highs to get drowned in bass.

Suggestions regarding choosing floorstanders having potent bass output capability and not mid bass will be of great help. My budget is $1000 max. I have heard that the PSB Image T6 is really good VFM but am not sure that they are able to compete to A9 in bass department.

After going through many forums I have seen many says Rti's are very good for home theater speakers but not for music since they lack mids. Also the thing that worries me the most Rti's tweeters are quite finicky and keep on blowing quite a lot.

Please do keep in mind I live in India, so my choices are very limited due to unavailability. Speakers from the list below are quite easily available though:
1) Polk Audio
2) KEF
3) Monitor Audio
4) Morudant Short
5) Focal
6) Dali
7) PSB
8) Quad
9) Klipsch
10) Wharfedale
11) Epos
12) Jamo

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If bass is your thing then why not get a sub as this will generally do the low stuff better than any floorstander. If looking at good musical speakers then the Monitor Audio RX range would be worth a listen as would the Focal 700/800 series.

AudioManiac

Standard Member
If bass is your thing then why not get a sub as this will generally do the low stuff better than any floorstander. If looking at good musical speakers then the Monitor Audio RX range would be worth a listen as would the Focal 700/800 series.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion PSM1. But you see my DSP-Z9 is no ordinary AV amp, its has a very powerful power amp section. I see the MA RX8 towers are rated at 4 ohms (no problem:)) with a rated power 175 watts. Is 175 watts for a pair or for each tower?

Where as I find in stereo mode the Z9 will pump 290 watts continious at 4 ohms with dynamic power of 580 watts at 2 ohms.

With my limited knowledge, it seems it will not take long for Z9 to turn those RX8 into roasted turkeys.

By the the way I listen very loud. :D

Ambient Fish

Your amp will never in any circumstance in the real world "pump" 290 watts continuosly into any speaker, especially in multichannel mode, so you don't need to worry about that, leave the amp in the 8 ohm mode. PSM1 makes an excellent suggestion, get a sub, then choose speaakers you know have good mid and high frequency reproduction that suits your taste.

xedas

Hello,

That's a nice piece of "machinery" you got there!
My face is greenish at the moment (that's the colour of envy....right?)

Just in case you're new to yamaha's receivers here's a tip to remove the speaker terminals "lugs" so that the 4mm speaker wire terminals will fit.

Good luck

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Hello Audiomaniac,

That's a mighty AV amp you got there, amongst the best of its kind for its time.

You say you enjoy 5.1 music.

To remain faithfull to 5.1 you will need speakers for all six channels.

Since bass is cut off at around 80hz you really don't need a speaker full of 7" bass drivers although there's no harm in it.

Concentrate your efforts instead in finding good quality speakers, perhaps 3-way speakers for the left, centre and right channels.

A lot depend on the size of your room, layout of speakers, your listening position and how loud you like to play it, information that I think you will need to provide so people can provide further advice. What normally turns speakers in to roast turkeys is lack of power rather than too much power.

Btw If you think 5.1 DVDs are good for music wait till you try 5.1 Blurays!

Last edited:

AudioManiac

Standard Member
You say you enjoy 5.1 music.

To remain faithfull to 5.1 you will need speakers for all six channels.

Since bass is cut off at around 80hz you really don't need a speaker full of 7" bass drivers although there's no harm in it.

Concentrate your efforts instead in finding good quality speakers, perhaps 3-way speakers for the left, centre and right channels.

MI55ION thanks a lot for your suggestions. Anyway apart from 5.1 music listening I do a lot of 2 channel listenning too.

My DSP-Z9s internal amp is so powerful, i just want to harness its power. I like to have two towers for the front channels that if possibe can do 20Hz to 20kHz. But I am limited to a budget of $1000, so I came to this forum to get suggestions from experts like you. For two channel listening I do not wnt to add a sub.

Later I will add a sub & get proper 5.1.

Replicant

Nice amp, Ive had several Yamaha amps and always been happy with them. Ive currently got the Z7 and have just bought KEF R series, R900 & R600C and I think they sound great both for music and blu rays

Ambient Fish

+1 for the KEF Yamaha combo from me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom