1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help making projector decision

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jesus Barrera R, May 14, 2002.

1. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. There's tons of useful info here. I need your help making my final decision on what projector to buy.

After reading loads of web pages, many reviews and whatever Home Cinema "X" magazine I could find I've narrowed down to:

- Panasonic AE100: Disqualified after reading a couple of pages of this forum.
    - Philips cBright XG2: I like the 1200 lumens and the XGA resolution.
    - NEC LT 75Z: I like it's DLP and received very good reviews but it's SVGA. Just about enough lumens too.

My room will be darkened, starting with Icestorm 5 pained projection wall, projector at 3-4 m from wall to project around 2m wide image (16:9), ceiling mounted, I can only spend 2000 pounds in the projector.

I like the Philips for the resolution, but I'm planning on watching DVDs only, should I worry about the resolution? and eventhough the Nec is SVGA the DLP technology attracts me. The other option would be to add another 600 pounds and buy the NEC LT150Z but I go back to my first question: is it worth adding 600 pounds for a higher resolution? I'm never going to use the projector for computer presentations.

Any suggestions?

Jesus Barrera
    Ireland

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo a Sanyo plv30. The only problem is that non anamorphic dvd's look crap in 2:35:1. ( can't zoom the image)The sanyo has a 4:3 chip, but has a 16:9 mode. I think you need to demo a projector before you discount it from your list

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What are you using as your source? A stand alone dvd player or a htpc?

If you're going the htpc route, then an 800 x 600 pj will give a very acceptable picture.

If not, then it depends on how good the pjs internal scaler is, so I'd definately reccommend a demo before you buy.

Gary.

4. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be using a Sony DVP-725 DVD player as source.

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A word of warning about discounting a player that has been complained about in a forum a lot.....

I have been involved in many different forums over the years and the one thing that is constant is that people who are unhappy with kit post messages (that's what the forum is for - help). People who are happy rarely post anything. They are not interested in talking about something that works well and may be too busy enjoying it.

Try buying a television after discounting forum complaints. You'd never find one!!

Just a thought.

6. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right Dodgey, generally the people posting mails are the ones who have problems and the greater majority that don't have any problems can't be appreciated.

And magazines confused me more, in some magazines the AE100 appears as *** and in others as ****1/2 so the only way is to actually see the PJ working and because these are not run-of-the-mill TVs it's very difficult to find a place where they demo the PJ you're looking for.

7. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    for what its worth i am a happy:D ptae100 owner and as you say we as a nation moan about the bad and not the good....

best advice IMHO( ive only had it for a month) is to get a demo of a short list.. that way you are deciding and not some disgruntled forum members..

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    and there has also been a lot of praise for that projector too. So please don't discount it before you've seen it.

Thats the bottom line. If they are your three in the shortlist, then test them all.

9. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The PTAE100 was a choice I made based on affordability and quality. I have been very impressed with it.
    I did question the 700 lumens and the black level solidness but after watching a movie for a few minutes you just don't question it.
    I demo'd a DLP OPTOMA at twice the price and where as the black levels where more solid, the 1600 lumens whites hurt my eyes and I got a strange rainbow prism effect on everything?
    Hope this helps

Chris

10. avguysworld

avguysworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IN my proffesional opinion if i had to chosse between those 3

I would pick Philips cBright XG2
    Its a reliable affordable pj and great customer service back up.

Panasonic poor customer base and unbelievly fault prone.

Nec though give 3 years customer service and maufacturers warrenty.And are very reliable

Its up to you.:confused:

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I discounted the Sanyo PLV-30 on specs first, but after demoing the lot, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, courtesey of my supplier (Sevenoaks) in the comfort of my own home....The Sanyo won for me...

Believe your own eyes and pending on your viewing habits do not get hung up on 16:9, ever tried watching Sky in Widescreen!!! I use an 8Ft wide screen which works brilliantly with all resolutions.

By all means, try it out and buy what YOU prefer and not based upon other peoples opinions....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

12. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you been to see a demo of any projectors? At the very least, you really need to check out a DLP projector, as some people are very susceptible to the rainbow effect. If you can see rainbows, that basically limits you to LCD unless you're prepared to fix a (heavy, large) 2nd hand CRT projector permanently in place. There's DILA as well, of course, but that's outside your price range.

How are you going to scale the output of your DVD player to the projector? Are you going to use an external scaler, an HTPC, or do all the projectors include built in scalers?

PK

13. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your answer!

So far I haven't been able to get a demo of any projector other than the Monroe; one of the draw-backs of living in Dublin, most shops don't stock projectors as they're not "mass market" items.

I'm trying to see if the Philips shop in town is willing to setup the XG2 they have on the window display and see how it looks.

Can I ask you as a mater of interest, for DVD movies, should I expect a better image on an XGA projector compared to an SVGA projector? or is that different only for computer images. Assuming I don't add any image processor, just straight S-Video from DVD to projector.

Thanks!

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The XGA is totally the wrong option for you. As you are feeding an interlaced source via Svideo you need something that has a decent built in deinterlacer. Also unless you use an out board scaler the higher the res of the projector the worse the PQ will get. The Panny would be a good choice, other options might be the Philips Monroe and the Plus Piano.

Jeff

15. Jesus Barrera R

Jesus Barrera R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to thank you guys for your help.

My final decision is the:

Phillips Monroe

Demoed the Sony HS1 and the Monroe and liked more the brightness of the Monroe, pitty though that the Monroe doesn't have progressive scan. Couldn't get a demo of the NEC LT75z so I decided to take one of the PJs I actually saw performing.

Thanks again for all your help.