Need help making a bottom-of-bed TV Stand!?

Phunky

Right, so the Mrs and I had a great idea to move our rooms around, we took the office out of the pokey smaller bedroom and swapped it with the main bedroom.

Reason being is that we only sleep and *cough* in the bedroom while we spend a lot of our awake time in the office, so makes more sense to use the larger room for that.

We have a king size Ikea Malm bed that fits perfect just under the window of the old office and leaves around a 40cm deep gap between the bottom of the bed and the wall.

In this gap i would like to create some form of unit of shelf that will take a 32" LCD TV and a few photos and such.

Does anyone know of anything like this that i could take as a point of reference or even any ideas of what to do with it?

I will add some photos and Google Sketch-up images later on with plans and most likely keep this thread up to date with my progress.

RockySpieler

Right, so the Mrs and I had a great idea to move our rooms around, we took the office out of the pokey smaller bedroom and swapped it with the main bedroom.

Reason being is that we only sleep and *cough* in the bedroom while we spend a lot of our awake time in the office, so makes more sense to use the larger room for that.

We have a king size Ikea Malm bed that fits perfect just under the window of the old office and leaves around a 40cm deep gap between the bottom of the bed and the wall.

In this gap i would like to create some form of unit of shelf that will take a 32" LCD TV and a few photos and such.

Does anyone know of anything like this that i could take as a point of reference or even any ideas of what to do with it?

I will add some photos and Google Sketch-up images later on with plans and most likely keep this thread up to date with my progress.

Can you not just wall mount the TV, with a floating style shelf underneath for the photos?

Phunky

I have already thought of that - but as we live in a rented house the idea of making something that we could take with us became more appealing.

Although the floating shelf idea is a lot more simple!

MitsiTurbo

Phunky

How about one or more these?

IKEA | Storage furniture | Chests of drawers | MALM | Storage unit

Its in the Malm range so should be the same height as the 'frame' of the bed.

Need to check depth but i think they might be slightly too big to fit, but they could work + be extra storage although if we are sticking things on top could be crappy storage :D

My idea was to build something along the lines of...

http://images.phunky.co.uk/index.php?fpp=10&fid=31

Still not 100% sure though

RockySpieler

Need to check depth but i think they might be slightly too big to fit, but they could work + be extra storage although if we are sticking things on top could be crappy storage :D

My idea was to build something along the lines of...

Phunky.co.uk Images

Still not 100% sure though

I have a 32" LCD in my bedroom, and I have about 1m from the bottom end of the Bed to the wall. I did have the TV on a dresser style built-in MFI unit, but it was too low. I was straining my neck whilst watching........:devil:.

I made up a wooden bracket / stand, that I screwed down on the dresser, which then gave the effect of wall-mounting the TV. You can see the supports, but they are slightly hidden by my centre speaker. It is at a more comfortable height.

I have seen some people use a wooden sheet, to which a wall bracket is fitted (or even just with 4 holes, a bit like the Ikea unit), this can be painted / wall papered as a feature, and can easily hid cables. It is not such a big job, considering the cabinet that you have already designed.

ikea already make something similar (you could always trim the height of the back panel):-

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30133942

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom