Need help in selecting appropriate device for filming surgeries

lpbfan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm not good at video shooting so I'd appreciate any advice.

Actually I'm an oral surgeon wanting to shoot my surgeries. There are several important criteria for me:

• 4k quality, good detalization of small objects from the shooting distance of +/- 30 inches
  • As compact as possible
  • Better with autofocus
  • Good battery life or mains power
  • Stabilizer doesn't matter, I will mount the camera onto surgical light
  • Color fidelity, sound qulity doesn't matter

I've been studying this topic for some time, it seemes that GoPro 10/11 or Sony fdr x3000 could fit pretty good, but I found no reviews or tests for my purposes or similar (filming small objects). Perhaps Sony ZV-1 is also good candidate.

Thanks for feedback.

Hi, a GoPro 10 with an external macro lens kit would probably do what you want. I can run it off the mains with the charging lead in the camera or a small external power pack if I'm not always near the mains. I film quite a few bands with multi camcorder set ups and the GoPro is constantly running for an hour or so. Have a look at this link.

Last edited:
I think auto focus is not needed feature, as it might keep changing between your hands or tools to the inside of the mouth. You need fixed focus of the last 10" of your 30.....

Hi is this to prodce a "tutorial-stype" vid. or is there some Legal purpose, I wonder?
IMHO you need an assistant that knows about camcorders and VERY willing patients since some sequence may not represent what is needed. It's difficult enough to film something that doesn't move or have feelings - like making glass ornaments using a blow-torch... but what you are suggesting ( I think) needs to be very slick/professional and close-up . . . . otherwise no-one can see what's being done...
Frankly I suspect this is just the start of a nightmare Project.
Have you considered using "Tutorial" body-parts?... I'm sure dental students practice on these before real patients... so perhaps you can obtain much of the close-up and lighting "fixes" without a real patient.
If this isn't possible then you could make a giant half-mouth using papier-mache ( half of it is removed so the camera+lights can get in.). This will allow plenty of light, a shooting-script and time to review the shots before having a tea-break. The viewer won't care it's not a real mouth -or tooth, etc... but the lack of blood will be real BONUS.
Cheers...H

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom