Need help in replacing old Surround System - Not sure whether to buy a SoundBar, BaseBar, or Surround System - Budget around £500

Tazbot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As per thread title, my old Sony 5.1 Surround System (over 20 years old) gave up the ghost recently. My TV is a LG Oled 55 so I'm looking into upgrading the sound. Just started looking at a few options but want to research a bit more into these 'sound bars'. I've heard of them but not really looked into brands etc. I listened to a LG SL8Y yesterday and was very impressed. There are that many to look at, all with this n that etc - it's a nightmare for a non tech guy like me.

I enjoyed the 5.1 but that was mainly heard when playing movies via BlueRay through my PS4 - now my TV being a 'smart' TV does all the movies/programs so no longer using PS4 to watch movies. I also own a Nintendo Switch which sounds ok through normal TV speakers. I've been told both PS4 and Switch can sound so much better with a new SoundBar etc

Question - I realise SoundBars aren't true surround but will buying one create a similar listening experience to what I enjoyed with the true 5.1 Sony Surround?

What will £500 get me. Can stretch it a little more but with Xmas round the corner and car MOT due next month, I need to monitor what I spend.

Thnx in advance for any positive responses.

If you are looking at soundbars then make sure it has a sub something like the LG or Samsung get good reviews. You could also try some of the advertisers on here, Audio-visual online, Peter Tyson Richer sounds all have reasonable package deals.

What's your room like?

For a soundbar to have any chance of sounding authentic positioning can be key. If it's nice and central with side walls parallel and a flat ceiling then it stands a much better chance of being effective. If your TV is stuffed in the corner then virtual effects are virtually guaranteed to be rubbish.

What's your room like?

For a soundbar to have any chance of sounding authentic positioning can be key. If it's nice and central with side walls parallel and a flat ceiling then it stands a much better chance of being effective. If your TV is stuffed in the corner then virtual effects are virtually guaranteed to be rubbish.

Yeh would be nice to have an ideal room. My TV sits just inside a square shaped bay window - TV room is rectangular - 14ft x 12ft - a settee position to the wall left of bay window and fireplace wall bang opposite the settee - there's another smaller settee on the wall opposite the bay window. I'll try an get a diagram drawn but hope you 'get the picture' from my description).

My ceiling is pan flat and about 8ft high. The surround system I had before worked pretty well given the layout of my room with left/right positioned either side of TV and surround speakers placed somewhat behind me but slightly above my head. Subwoofer near TV and centre speaker underneath TV.

So, these sound bars with Atmos need a flat ceiling? I'm not into placing speakers on ceiling either lol I just want a much better sound set up than what I have atm which is just TV. I do play COD games so surround would be nice but if a half decent Soundbar would work, then that;s my route.

If it was me I would be looking at something like this.
I know its a bit more than you wanted but it will sound better than a sound bar.
You should be able to find a bundles like the above some may even do atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom