1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identifying War Film

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Rasczak, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Can anyone suggest the name to a WWII war film set on the Eastern Front and about German Tank crews? From memory the Germans spoke English. No idea of any of the actors/production crew names. I remember renting this film way back in around 1993 and thinking it was 'quite good' - which could mean it was total crap.

Not much to go on I know but can anyone suggest a title?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Only three titles spring to mind, but neither of them may be correct, as I haven't checked the Internet Movie Database.

"Tigerland" (Joel Schumacher) is a possibility.

Or "Fatherland" (based on the Robert Harris novel of the same name)

Or, failing all that, "Stalingrad", which I think was in German, with English subtitles (for the 3 hour version), and an English dubbed release also found its way onto UK home video, with approximately 28 minutes removed, although I'm not sure why.

Hope this helps you out.

Pooch

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another one is Wheels of Terror by Sven Hassell. It starred Bruce Davison. it was one of those films that only really appeard in rental shops. it was on sale for a short time. I got it and its a good film

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know it's not Stalingrad (although it's a got an excellent tank scene in it) or Tigerland but I'll check out 'Fatherland' and 'Wheels Of Terror'.

Many thanks!

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure its Wheels of terror you are thinking about. I watched it last nite. The Main character has this yellow top hat he keeps putting on and there is a good part where the germans dress as russians and are in this tank. theres a knock on the hatch and there is about 30 russian soldiers asking for cigarettes. Some realy good battle scenes.:smashin:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Does sound like the one. Seems to be deleted on VHS and not available on DVD so I've added to DigiGuide smartsearches should it ever appear on Sky/TV.

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    send me a blank tape and a money for postage and ill copy it for you

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GOOD NEWS. There is a vhs on e bay for this at £4. Also there is a guy selling reg 2 dvds of it. i just bought one. If you want the dvd Ill give you the guys user name

cheers
    sahun:smashin:

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Fatherland is based on the novel of the same name and is about a post-war enviroment where the germans had won. A loyal member of the SS (I think) begins to uncover evidence of the Final Solution (which of course had been completed and never uncovered) and the film unravels from there. Worth a look or if you're feeling scholarly the book is vastly better.