Need HELP, I can't decide!

DaddyBond666

Novice Member
Picking a TV apparently is extremely difficult compared to picking a CPU for a computer! Basically I cannot decide what to buy to replace my aging but wonderful Samsung 48" H6400 1080P 3D television in my bedroom, I have a budget of £2000 but ideally would prefer to spend between £700-1300. It will be wall mounted and I will be looking slightly upward about 30 degrees as I'll be watching from bed, I know on some panels the colours can change so I thought I had better mention that, amount and version of HDMI ports is not important nor is gaming as it will simply be plugged into a media server for me to watch old, new video files, streaming services (such as Netflix) and lastly YouTube! Now my biggest concern is picture quality, upscaling content as low as 360P and making it as acceptable as possible, I assume all native 4K content will look wonderful regardless what TV I buy.

So I need you wizards here who know your stuff to help me decide or even suggest another one for my purposes, I am extremely grateful for any help you can give me! I am considering the Samsung's, but recently saw this LG but have not done much research into it.

Samsung UE70AU9000 75"
Pros - Size, FreeSync, 2021 model, 2800 PQI
Cons - Lower-end Model

Samsung Q60A 75"
Pros - Size, 3100 PQI, same price as lower-end models
Cons - Entry level QLED

LG 75NANO906NA 75"
Pros - Size, 100Hz display, Freesync, costs the same as a similar Samsung
Cons - Last years model

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
30° from below will have major impact on any TV so if it's really that much I'd get a tilting mount.

The only thing using technologies like variable refresh rate (freesync) and high frame rate support are games.

The yearly revisions are small but the launch prices are high, so previous years models are generally a pro rather than a con.

I'd probably lean towards Sony or Panasonic if image processing like upscaling is your highest priority. LG aren't the best at it and I'm not familiar with how good current Samsungs are.

DaddyBond666

Novice Member
30° from below will have major impact on any TV so if it's really that much I'd get a tilting mount.

The only thing using technologies like variable refresh rate (freesync) and high frame rate support are games.

The yearly revisions are small but the launch prices are high, so previous years models are generally a pro rather than a con.

I'd probably lean towards Sony or Panasonic if image processing like upscaling is your highest priority. LG aren't the best at it and I'm not familiar with how good current Samsungs are.
Thank you I may well invest in an tilting bracket, it may look hideous as I walk into the room as the tv is currently flush but a small trade off for better colours! Are you able to suggest a 65-75" Sony around the £1000 mark?

tvdavid

the Samsung Q60A prob better than the LG TV. but the LG Mini LED looks OK but they cost the same as oled.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thank you I may well invest in an tilting bracket, it may look hideous as I walk into the room as the tv is currently flush but a small trade off for better colours! Are you able to suggest a 65-75" Sony around the £1000 mark?

Now is the most expensive time of year to be buying a TV so I can't see any, although a couple of months ago you'd have been able to pick up a 75" XH80 for £1050. I'd expect this year's revision, the X81J, to drop to a similar price in the Christmas discounts (starting towards the end of November) but it's currently £1500.

DaddyBond666

Novice Member
Now is the most expensive time of year to be buying a TV so I can't see any, although a couple of months ago you'd have been able to pick up a 75" XH80 for £1050. I'd expect this year's revision, the X81J, to drop to a similar price in the Christmas discounts (starting towards the end of November) but it's currently £1500.
I am not desperate or don't need it so I may wait, the only real benefit is size as my room can only fit up to this and going from 48" to 65" to me isn't worth it. So yeah definitely worth waiting for some deals on 75", thank you for the information!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom