Need help from PROS on NAS DIGITAL LIBRARY SERVER

ThePROFESS10NAL

Standard Member
I was hoping to get advice of the gurus for my particular set-up. I've been searching for days on answers to my specific questions but can't find straight-forward answers. I want a networked DIGITAL DVD LIBRARY to view my movies from on any device.

My set up is:

Acer laptop
Toshiba laptop
Custom build PC
2 XBOX 360's
PS3
Wii

Router is and AT&T uverse (iptv and internet)

I recently purchased an NAS (dlink dns-323) with (2) 1.5 TB drives running in linear fashion (I have lots of movies to convert right now, I will set up a back-up system when I see how much room I will need)

I have about 300 DVD's and maybe 25 Blu-rays I want to back up.

My questions are:

1. What file type is the most universal when playing through networked media extenders. I would like to be able to access the files from each of my devices without having a PC running (apparently my NAS acheives this). I've never really used Media Center but wouldn't mind giving it a try so long as the file format doesn't limit access from other devices.

2. What would be the optimal compression for the AV file? I would love to not have to compress my files (do I have to with 3 TB x 300 movies?) But I will most likely end up compressing them to save room for future additions to the library. So what is optimal compression with the least sacrifice in quality or device compatibility.

3. Anything I should know about creating my "File Hierarchy"? Tips/tricks to make my life easier? And maybe be able to have the DVD covers shown in media center. I hear media center can be a pain.

4.Recommended programs to acheive this? I dont care if its free or not. I just want the best available.

Also does anyone know how to remove those tags from torrents I've downloaded? I dont like how they look when they're on the 360. I'd rather it just have the Title of the movie shown instead of:

"MoOoOVie.ToRrentzvillE.UsA.Ima.Stupid.AhOlE[2010]"

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A84L/A80L BRAVIA XR OLED TV Review - COMPARED to LG C3, Samsung QD-OLED & LG G3
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom