1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from Philips WS TV owners please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Oldbean, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Oldbean

Oldbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm after a 24" widescreen TV for the bedroom as i dont have space for
    a 28. After a little research im thinking of going with the Philips 24".

I went into Currys today to look at the 24" Philips 24PW6518. Channel
    4 was showing a film in letter box which made the TV auto switch to
    16:9 Zoom mode. I had to change it back to widescreen by pressing the
    arrows. If i then went through the channels, when coming to channel 4
    it would switch back to Zoom mode again. I was not able to make the tv
    stay in widescreen, i could not find an option to turn off auto
    picture format.
    There was a 28" Philips that looked identical, this also did the auto
    picture format on channel 4.

I will be using the TV with a freeview box connected to the RGB scart.
    Im concerned that the TV will be auto switching all the time when i go
    off a widescreen channel to a music channel like TMF. Is it possible
    to leave the tv in widescreen?
    I was all for the getting the Philips but i have searched the
    newsgroups and found alot of posts about people wishing they had never
    bought a Philips tv due to the auto switching.

I also noticed setting the 24" TV to 4:3 mode the vertical black bars
    curved in at the top, this didnt happen on the 28" model. Is that a
    bad sign?

Any help would be great,

Cheers,
    James

2. Mabel

Mabel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're on our third set - lots of buzzing and whistling which is very evident when there are lots of contrasting colours/bright light levels in the picture. I've just looked on the Philips website and apparently it's my fault for having a small room - says its normal when up to approx 6 feet away from the set! Also the settings seem a bit strange - bought a widescreen tv because fed up of edges of picture being chopped off, but the first one was lost bits, second one seemed better, third one arrived this afternoon, so I haven't quite worked everything out yet. Noise seems less, but I think I need to give it a couple of days just to be sure!
    (Sorry, not a very positive reply - I've probably raised even more questions for you! Strangely the auto switching doesn't stress me that much!)
    Mabel

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Oldbean

Sorry what I am about to say does not directly answer your question - but after reading your post - please please - do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy ANYTHING like a TV from CURRY'S (AKA DSG RETAIL)

If it goes wrong (even within the first 28 days) and you manage to get their service arm, Mastercare to agree it's faulty (a job and a half in itself) you will no doubt encounter NO END of problems.

I know as I recently had the misfortune to buy from them, a 32" Panasonic widescreen set - had two of them in the space of a month which were faulty and they (Curry's) then messed me about something chronic trying to sort it all out. I have heard from others similar tales - so please, please beware of this awful retailer.

You would be much better off either shopping somewhere else on line - or if you want to purchase face to face, try a local independent dealer who are far far more knowledgeable than any of the Curry's so called "staff" and and will often match their price to gain your custom.

I did this in the end with a Sony Set and it was such a relief to deal with a "proper" and knowledgeable company who didn't mess me about.

Just a word of warning.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but just needed to warn you of their dreadful aftercare or lack of care and service after you've bought the set.

Paul

4. LB1985

LB1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis are always a safe bet with items like televisions, which are all guaranteed (free of charge!) for five years. Definetly worth checking them out, either in one of their stores or at johnlewis.com :thumbsup:

Also worth remembering that (in their stores) they are 'never knowingly undersold', so if another local shop is selling the item for less, they will match the price - even if the competitor doesn't offer a five year guarantee!

5. Oldbean

Oldbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys,

From the research i have been doing on the internet it does seems a lucky dip if the TV you take home will display a satisfactory picture. I dont understand why there is so many issues with varying picture quality and glitches.

I have looked at the toshiba 24" but read a few problems with that aswell. The panasonic 24" looks good but its around £400 +. At that sort of price im getting into 28" screens.

I have considered buying the TV from currys for 250 or from john lewis at 350 knowing i get the 5 year warrenty. I would love to save a £100 though as you would expect it to be working correctly when you get it home.

Mabel how is your 3rd set, where did you purchase it from?
    I read issues of chopped off picture, poor geometry, playing DVDs the black isnt very good and flickering colours on the simpsons with this TV but i have only found 3 people who have had trouble.
    Most people only post if they have problems so 3 isnt too bad.
    Mable would you recommend this set or do you wish you had never bought it?

Thanks,
    James