1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help For Buying New Comp

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by coco27511, Jul 14, 2004.

1. coco27511

coco27511

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!!
    I need some help about some stuff for my new comp that im gonna buy
    lets start wih the things that im sure to buy:

CPU: Intel P4 520 [2.80Ghz] *Retail* S775 -FSB800- 1Mb

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 120.0Gb 7200RPM 8Mb Cache

Memory: Kingston 1024Mb (2x512Mb) DDR [333] *Dual Kit Hyper-X*

Sound Card: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS

The problem is the VIDEO CARD, there are to many version...
    All i can say is that i need one resistant, that'll last for couple of year and that'll work very well with new games such as:

NFS Underground 2, Half-Life 2, Sims 2 ...

i want one with really good graphics and fast one, i dont want it to lag...at least a 128mb, but i would really like to have a 256mb. for example the
    ati radeon xt 9600 256mb, people say that its slow and the 128mb is better in this version, i dont know what to do, maybe go for nvidia, or stay with the
    radeon xt 9600 256mb, or go for the radeon xt 9600 128mb or another model...im all lost, by the way my budget is from 200$ to 300$ canadian for the video card!!

so if someone can help me please write as soon as possible, i would aprreciate it.

thx for ur time!

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    For those in the UK coco’s price range for the graphics card is £82-£122.

For that money in the UK you could get a Radion 9800 pro with 256mb DDR

PS like the HD but prefer AMD to the Intel chip but then the Intel may be going in a already bought Motherboard.

3. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive been reading that 256 is a waste, cuz games dont support it yet and it dont give much increase in performance

So Id go for a 128 card like the 9800

Video Card is the place to spend your money, I would consider, dropping your Ram to 512DDR400 if your need more Video card funds. every time ive upgrade ram ive been dissapointed, but Video upgrades have been very noticable

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The P4 1mb cache is waste - its not much faster than the 512kb. Youd be better getting the 512kb cache with a higher clock speed.

The memory youve listed is no good - you need PC3200 (400) to compliment the 800fsb of the P4.

GFx - There are good and bad 9800pro's. Some have faster memory than others. I think the Sapphire 9800pro with 128mb has the faster memory and can have the BIOS upgraded to make it an 9800xt spec. I have a Sapphire 9600xt and its very good. I also have a 2 year old 9700 thats overclocked to a 9700pro. I also have a 9600pro. They all handle the latest games without any problem.

To be honest - I would ditch the Intel and get AMD. Buy an Nforce2 board with soundstorm and a AMD Barton 2500+ and save yourself a packet (wont need the Audigy). You cant beat AMD if youre on a budget. If money is of no consequence then by all means buy the Intel.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    drummerjohn.

I too have a Radeon 9700. How do I overclock it to be a pro, and what effect does overclocking it have on my system? Overheating etc?

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is surely the way to go - retail for about £140 in UK, probably cheaper in Canada (ATI is a Canadian company IIRC?). Go for the 128MB, apparently the 256MB version costs nearly double and has minimal performance improvements over the 128MB. Make sure you get a 256-bit version too - I thought I'd found a bargain, but it turned out to be a 128-bit version (was a Sapphire).

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    9700 Overclocking

Download Rage3d Tweak from here:

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?node=r3dtweak

Using the sliders you should be able to up the memory clock by 10% and the GPU by 20% without any issues.

Heat isnt a problem either. If it is in your case then buy a Artic VGA cooler for £10 from PCworld and fit that. That makes it near silent and perfect for overclocking.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Cheers chaps! :smashin:

No idea how to fit that cooler though.

I'm no tekkie.

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Trust me - If PCWorld sell the VGA Artvic Cooler then its got to be a doddle to fit.

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have one fitted to my 9800pro and it is easy to fit. The supplied instructions are very comprehensive. Just make sure you get the version 3 model of it as it is improved and fits more cards.

Why are you going for the more expensive Pen***m 4/audigy combo over the AthlonXP and Nforce 2 combo?

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've had bad experiences with my western digital HDD's, i'd recommend Maxtor instead. And 120gb is quite small if you have broadband, ive got 240 full to the brim at the moment.

i would also recommend the Gainward Geforce FX 5900 XT golden sample as your graphics solution for about £120

And also make sure you check that your motherboard does support PC3200 (400mhz) memory before buying it, not all motherboards support PC3200 simply because the FSB is 800mhz, that was an incorrect statement by drummerjohn, but he was correct about ditching intel and getting an AMD/Nforce Soundstorm motherboard because Nforce onboard sound is really good. The Asus A7N8X-E deluxe is highly recommended.

13. coco27511

coco27511

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first of all thx for all the help and recommandation!!! i appreciate it!!

well, i guess that i will go for the amd athlon64 3000+, they say its fast like lithning compared to pentium4... with the asus K8V Deluxe motherboard... and i would get a maxtor 120gb S-ATA... a good 550watt power supply....
    ill forget the audigy, i dont think it would be that important, ill get 512mb ram ddr pc3200 (400mhz), and finally, ill go for the ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb with the artic cooler fan, i think it would be a good choice with a reasonable price for the performance!!! all these for about 1400$ canadian!!(including the other stuff...cd-rom floppy case with some fan...

any other suggestion for an even better comp... please right back
    thank you

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If your looking to future proof for the next 2 years game wise then if you can up your budget slightly why not go for a next gen graphics card. Either an X800 pro or a 6800gt will stand you in good stead for the likes of doom3 and hl2 and will complement you a64 processor. I'll be going the a64 route myself in the next couple of months but have already invested in a leadtek 6800gt. I have been able to overclock this card higher than ultra settings (420/1140) with still plenty of headroom remaining but the card is a huge monster that takes up a pci slot too. If your looking for a smaller cooler solution then the ati x800 pro/XT will possibly be more to your liking. Either manufacturer will provide blistering performance and keep you on track to play games as the developer intended for a few more years anyhow:devil:

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the arctic cooler is for the gfx card right? You might also want to think about getting a different heatsink/fan for your CPU as i've never been happy with the ones that come with the CPU, always very ineffective in my experience, they don't cost much. I have an aero 7 lite, which is very nice and only £9 though i don't know what is available at the moment for AMD64 CPU's.

Also, i can't help but think that motherboard will be problematic. It might just be my own personal experience, but i've had two motherboard with VIA chipsets before and i've never had a stable gaming experience. This one with the NFORCE chipset should fare better: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6803&GroupID=526

Also worth noting is that i haven't found a single AMD64 motherboard with soundstorm audio, so you will need to get a pci soundcard as well if you want a decent EAX enhanced sound experience in games. The Realtek audio will be ok, but if you're an audiophile it'll probably disappoint.

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I second the VIA chipset instability issues. Tried 2 for units i have built for friends and both have been awfull.

Have built 6 nforce2 machines and had zero issues.

If your going AMD just make sure its a socket 939 chipset as the 939 AMD64s now have dual mem controllers which do perform better. and its a bit more future proofed.
    If you dont plan using a raid configuration the one of best current AMD64 Mainboared is the new gigabyte Nforce3 ultra. lots of nice features(at last AMD boards are getting better specked)And again solid stability
    Has SATA on chip. (no PCI express yet but givin current pci express benchmarks that doesent seem a big deal yet)

Also i would not go any lower than a 256MB graphics card as it does effect performance quite abit on all the newer games, they actually need the the 256mb now(hell to run doom3 at its best u will need a 512MB card to run the ultra setting)

1Ghz of mem is essential as this realy does help games run smoother.
    Cant recomment OCZ mem enough. without a doubt the best out there at the mo.
    Had quite a few issues with corsair mem but OCZ has neverfailed. (gold edition stuff is awsome)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Gigabyte1.html