Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need help fixing swivel chair (includes tenuous AV link)

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Pbryanw, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I use my swivel chair to watch DVD movies on my computer (there goes the tenuous AV link). The problem is the casters/wheels keep on falling out of the sockets they're placed in (usually when the chair moves over a rug). I thought about using superglue or blutack to keep them in but that would mean the casters wouldn't be able to swivel and therefore I wouldn't be able to move the damn thing. Is this caster problem normal with swival chairs?

Anyway probably not the most relevant thing to post on an AV forum but I need help.

Any ideas :confused:

2. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    bump

So I assume it's normal for the wheels of office chairs to fall off, judging by the lack of responses. Seems like a glaring design flaw to me and one that should be fixed - unless it's just my chair? Again any ideas?

3. lupo

lupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    please don't take this wrong. You have pushed the castors into the base really hard, if they are not pushed in ( sometimes even hammered in! ) they will fall out. There is no way the castors should fall out.

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for the help lupo. I took out my trusty hammer and tried hammering them in but they just fell out - there appears to be nothing to grip the castors once they're in the sockets. I bought the chair from Staples about two years ago and the castors came with metal ringlets attached which had to be prised off before they fitted in the sockets. I'm now thinking these ringlets were probably needed in some way. Anyway I accept defeat in this matter. The castors only come off once every week or so, so it's not that much of a problem.

5. lupo

lupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think you are right... the ringlets would fit into a recess in the castor shaft.. to hold them in place... never mind...