• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help finding the right headphones

chaitusunkara

As my title says I am looking for some help in the selection of a decent IEM. I am looking for an IEM which plays all the frequencies with good detail as well as has a thumping bass whenever a bass node comes. Based on online reviews I have purchased SoundMagic PL50 and Sennheiser CX-400 II this week but unfortunately both of them did not match my expectations. The PL50 had good detail but it sounds noisy sometimes and lacks the thumping bass. Sennheiser CX-400 II has good bass but it dominates the other details. Disappointed with both of these I am looking to send them back to Amazon (or sell them hear as the package has been opened. suggestions are welcome here too?).

In fact the Sony earphones (that came with my walkman phone) I have currently are exactly what I want as they have that good bass but also do not neglect the details. I have been using them for quite a number of years now and the wear and tear is showing on the cable. So I am looking for anything similar or an upgrade (to get more detail in frequencies).

The options I am looking at currently are Sony MDR-EX500LP or Denon AH-C551. If you can help me choose the right one among these or suggest me a better option that would be great. The price range I am looking for is £0-£100.

Last edited:

chaitusunkara

Someone on a different forum has suggested attaching an amplifier (FiiO E5) to boost the bass on PL50. Does that produce thumping bass?

Also how practical is to carry an amplifier (for example: listening to music at office or in trains)?

chaitusunkara

Strange that there are no replies so far. Anyways after reading a lot of reviews I have decided to go for Sony MDR-EX500LP. Any existing users want to throw some last minute comments?

Steven

Senior Moderator
It's a bank holiday weekend and you are also competing with Royal Wedding/snooker/PSN hack :)

If you searched this section you may have come across one of my posts explaining having spent a small fortune acquiring several budget canalphone, I found it to be much about nothing and variations of a compromised budget category sound, though Sound Magic is the best budget I have heard yet. You seemed to have found that for yourself there

The Sony should be a good step up for you http://www.avforums.com/forums/headphones-headphone-amps/870059-sony-mdr-ex500lp-vs-mdr-ex300sl.html

chaitusunkara

Yes it truely is. If it lasts long I am sure this will be my main go to earphone for sometime. I am preparing a collection of songs for burning it now (never heard of burning before but there is lot about it online). Will post the results.

chaitusunkara

How do you find the bass and treble with this earphone?

I have been using them for a while now and I can say that the bass and treble are there and not overpowering the other details. I should say the bass is thumping but only when it should be. The treble is also good (although in rare occassions it sounds harsh).

Adding more details, I have been using the earphones that came along with my old Walkman series phone for more than 3 years until today. The EX500LP are a definite improvement over them. I can notice the different details that were missing before. The fitting is good with no pressure on my ears. In fact they are so light that I might not notice them if no songs are playing :p.

chaitusunkara

One more thing that I observed is when I plugged them onto my laptop and put the maximum volume there was a clear distortion (but that was with a setting of vlc volume at 300-400%). It sounds brilliant on full volume on my mobile though :). The noise isolation is also brilliant on these. With my washing machine running on full spin I could not hear anything standing next to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom