Need help finding a suitable TV for my dad (65/75")

Vindepin

Hi guys,

Tomorrow I'm going shopping for a new TV for my dad and I could use some advice. He's looking for a 65" or 75" with a budget of max. 1400 pound.

Not a lot of requirements other than the best possible picture quality for this budget/size. What is important is it has to be user friendly as my dad isn't all that handy with technology and settings. I don't know how much this differs per TV but it would be great if things like different picture modes, resolution and HDR/Dolby vision would all switch on and off automatically as much as possible etc.

Hope you can help us out, any suggestion's welcome! So far I don't have much in mind other than the Sony X900H which comes at a great price for a 65".

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Picture modes are remembered indpendantly no matter the TV. One won't behave differently than another in this scenario.

In terms of ease of use, Samsung and LG TVs are probably the best. Sony/Philips models use Android TV which is also okay, but perhaps not as intuitive as the others.

Recommendations will depend heavily on your dads viewing conditions, his sources, what he watches and his own personal preferences, so a good way to start is the opening post of my best buy guide you've already posted in.

Once you have some idea of these basic things such as his prospected HDR use and the panel type best suited to his conditions, then it makes recommending a model possible.

Until then its not really possible to give a recommendation because there's so much that can make one TV so good for one person, but bad for another. There's also a template you can fill out in the link of my signature that should give the info needed to make a steadfast recommendation.

Vindepin

Thank you @Dodgexander

My dad will mostly be watching from a dimly lit/dark room, around 3.5 meters away. I am not too sure if OLED would be for him as he often leaves his TV on for a long time at night etc, but going from that viewing angle indication in the guide, he would need one that allows a very wide angle.(He has his 'spot' on the corner of the couch, not directly in front of the TV)

He uses his TV to watch broadcasts and Netflix exclusively, and I do believe his connection is good enough to stream in 4K. He mostly watches in the dark. He wouldn't have any preferences as he has no idea what HDR or OLED even is for example, but I think he would appreciate a good contrast with deep blacks.

From gathering all this I feel like it's all pointing to an OLED, except I wouldn't quite trust him with protecting it from burning in... I might have to teach him.

Otherwise, is there any VA panel with both deep blacks and a wide viewing angle? How are the QLEDS in this regard?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

There are higher end LCD TVs with wide viewing angle filters like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T but the viewing angles are not perfect like OLEDs.

Determine what kind of viewing angle it is, if its within 50 degrees one of these TVs will be fine.

Unfortunately with a limited budget, going for a 75" or dropping to a lower tier model than those would mean a significant drop in picture quality, especially when watching in dim conditions.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom